Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

PitE Independent Study

To receive credit for an independent study experience, PitE students must register for Environ 300. Students must get a confirmation from a faculty advisor. This page outlines what students must do in order to register for Environ 300.

Minimum Requirements

Reading assignments: Students must complete 3-5 readings per credit hour.

Writing Assignments: Students must submit 3-5 pages per credit hour (double-spaced, including drafts), or more through consultation with instructor.

Grading Basis: Can be taken for a letter grade or pass/fail, however, course must be taken for a letter grade if it is meeting a requirement in the core of the major or in a minor.

Expected hours of faculty-student contact per credit: 2 meetings per month.

In addition to this time spent with the faculty, students are expected to spend at least 3 hours per week per credit hour completing work for their independent study course (collecting and/or analyzing date, completing readings and writing assignments). 

  • For example, students enrolled for 1 credit hour must spend 3 hours per week on the course work. Students enrolled for 2 credits must spend 6 hours per week on course work (3 credit hours, 9 hours of work, etc.)

Timeline for Students: To discuss the proposed course of study, students must make an effort to meet with faculty member term before s/he plans to enroll in the independent study. The student must submit completed Independent Study Approval form by the add/drop deadline.

Faculty Advisors

The faculty advisor must clearly communicate the minimum requirements and basis for grading in writing. Faculty advisor must have a teaching appointment at U-M. GSIs are ineligible to be faculty advisors. PitE may grant an exception to this policy. If so, a brief rationale for the exception, along with the signed faculty-student agreement, will be sent to the LSA Curriculum Office to be kept on file.

Record Retention

PitE will keep on file copies of the signed Independent Study Approval form and sufficient evidence of student work to demonstrate that the agreement was fulfilled for a period of 7 years.