Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Transcripts and Notations

The Academic Record is the official record of a student's course elections, grades, and credits earned toward a degree. Since the academic record is a permanent record of a student's academic performance, it must be correct. Students who believe an error has been made on their academic records should contact the Assistant to the Academic Standards Board (1255 Angell Hall).

LSA academic records are maintained by the Records and Enrollment Department in the Registrar's Office (1210 LSA Building).

A student wishing to have a transcript of the academic record sent to another college or university or to an employer can place an order online from Wolverine Access. You will need a Uniqname and university password and should receive a confirmation number. Requests with paper attachments or needing special services should be brought to a Student Services site, 1210 LSA Building Street or B430 Pierpont Commons.

Mailed or faxed requests may be sent/faxed to:

Transcript and Certification Office
University of Michigan
1210 LSA Building
500 South State Street
Ann Arbor 48109-1382
Fax: (734) 764-5556

All requests should include dates of attendance and a student identification number. A transcript of the academic record bearing the official seal of the University of Michigan and the signature of the Registrar is forwarded directly to the institution or person specified by the student, assuming there is no outstanding financial commitment from the student to the University. There is no fee for official transcripts. A student has the option of ordering a paper official transcript or an electronic (PDF) official transcript (if the academic record is entirely electronic). A student may request and receive an unofficial transcript, on demand, at a student services site: 1207 LSA Building or B430 Pierpont Commons. The unofficial transcript contains additional information not included in the official transcript. It should not be used in lieu of an official transcript for the purposes of admission or employment. A copy of your unofficial transcript can be obtained from Wolverine Access.

A student may pay a fee set by the Registrar's Office and request a special transcript including an appendix listing the original grades submitted for all courses elected "Pass/ Fail."

A specially prepared transcript indicates which of these options has been chosen. A request for a special transcript does not permanently revise the original academic record.

See the Office of the Registrar for details.

Summary of Transcript Notations


P (passed)

credit, no honor points

F (failed)

no credit, no honor points


Credit/No Credit

CR (credit)

credit, no honor points

NC (no credit)

no credit, no honor points



S (satisfactory)

credit, no honor points

U (unsatisfactory)

no credit, no honor points

(The S/U symbols are used by the School of Education.)



W (official withdrawal)

no credit, no honor points

ED (dropped unofficially)

no credit, no honor points

(A notation of ED for a graded election has the same effect on the grade point average as does an E.)


Incomplete/Work in Progress

I (incomplete)

no credit, no honor points

Y* (work in progress for project approved to extend for two successive terms)

no credit, no honor points


Official Audit (VI)

VI (Audit)

no credit, no honor points

Miscellaneous Notations (NR, ##)

NR (no report)

no credit, no honor points

NG (no grade reported)

no credit, no honor points

A notation of P, F, CR, NC, S, U does not affect a student's term or cumulative grade point average. A notation of I, Y, NG, or NR, if not replaced by a passing grade, eventually lapses to E or ED and, for graded elections, is computed into the term and cumulative grade point averages.

*LSA Curriculum Committee approval is required to use a Y grade. See "Grading for a Two-Term Course (Y)" below.

If an LSA student elects a course in another Ann Arbor unit which is graded on a pattern not indicated here (for example, graduate courses in the Stephen M. Ross School of Business), the grade will be translated by the Registrar to fit with LSA's letter grading scale.

Term and Cumulative Grade Point Averages

The Term Grade Point Average is determined by dividing the total number of Michigan Semester Hours (MSH) elected during a term into the total number of Michigan Honor Points (MHP) earned during the same term. The Cumulative Grade Point Average is determined by dividing the total number of Michigan Semester Hours (MSH) into the total number of Michigan Honor Points (MHP) earned. Notations of Y, I, NR, and NG are not initially calculated into the term or cumulative grade point averages. Notations of I, NR, and NG , if unresolved by the end of the fourth week of the next fall or winter term in residence or by an approved extension deadline, lapse to E or ED and are computed into both the term and cumulative grade point averages, if the course was a graded election.

Minimum Term and Cumulative Grade Point Averages Required

To be eligible for continued enrollment, a student must earn at least a 2.0 term grade point average and a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. If a student fails to accomplish this, the "honor point deficit" can be determined by multiplying the Michigan Semester Hours (MSH) elected by 2.0 and subtracting the total number of Michigan Honor Points (MHP) earned. Only honor points earned in courses elected at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Dearborn, or Flint campus) may affect the grade point average.

Grading for a Two-Term Course

A few courses (e.g., senior Honors thesis courses, Global Course Connections, or some Biological Sciences research courses) are approved as "two-term" sequences (approval has to be granted by the LSA Curriculum Committee). In these specially approved cases only, an instructor can report a Y grade at the end of the first-term course to indicate work in progress. When a final grade is reported at the end of the second term, that final grade is posted for both terms' elections. In cases where a Y grade is reported for a course which is not approved to extend for two successive terms, an I (Incomplete) is posted on the transcript and the course is subject to the regular deadline for incompletes. Students needing more time to complete this work must petition the Academic Standards Board for an official extension of the deadline.

No Report (NR), No Grade (NG)

The instructor should report an NR if a student stops attending before the end of the term, but has not dropped the class or requested an Incomplete.  If the NR is not resolved by the fourth week of the next fall or winter term in residence, the NR grade in a graded election is lapsed to an ED.*The NG is recorded when a student has been registered into a class after the web grade rosters have been sent to the instructor. The NG will convert to an ED* if unresolved after the first four weeks of the next fall or winter registration.*An ED carries no degree credit, and the course is computed as an E in the term and cumulative grade point averages.

Students may count a maximum 30 non-graded credits toward the 120 credits required for a degree. Non-graded credits are earned in courses for which no letter grade (A through E) is recorded on the transcript. Only those non-graded credits actually earned are counted as part of the total number of non-graded credits applicable toward a degree.A student cannot choose to elect a course by the CR/NC and S/U grading patterns; the optional non-graded pattern is P/F.Non-graded courses earn credit toward a degree but not honor points. Therefore, "Pass" (or "Credit") grades do not enter into the computation of the term or cumulative grade point averages.A change in grading pattern for a course is not permitted after the first three weeks of a full term (first two weeks of a half-term). Grading pattern choices must be modified through the registration system. Courses elected after the third week of a term may not be elected on a non-graded basis unless the course is offered as a "mandatory non-graded" course. The only exceptions to this policy are short courses (e.g., EARTH 101-115) which have started after the beginning of the term. In these cases, the grading pattern may not be changed after the second week of class. The Academic Standards Board does not grant exceptions to this policy.The College holds students responsible for ensuring the accuracy and completeness of their class schedule.Instructor approval is not required for a choice in the elected grading pattern nor should the instructor be informed of such a choice. Instructors report letter grades (A through E) for all students in their courses, except in mandatory CR/NC courses. In the case of a student who has chosen to elect a course "Pass/Fail," the Office of the Registrar converts the letter grades according to the following policies:Grades of A through C– are posted on a transcript as "P" (Pass); credit toward a degree is earned.Grades of D through E are posted on a transcript as "F" (Fail); no degree credit is earned.In the case of an incomplete course elected "Pass/Fail," credit is posted only when the work has actually been completed and a grade of at least C– has been reported. "Pass/Fail" courses which are not finished lapse to "Fail," although the term and cumulative grade point averages remain unaffected.If the instructor of a mandatory Credit/No Credit course believes that the amount and quality of a student's work is such that it deserves credit, CR (Credit) is posted on the transcript. If the instructor believes that a student's work does not justify the awarding of credit, NC (No Credit) is posted on the transcript. Courses offered mandatory Credit/No Credit are designated in the course listings.Students who have transferred "non-graded" credit to the College must count that credit as part of the maximum 30 hours of "non-graded" credit which may be counted toward an LSA degree. Advanced Placement credit as well as transfer courses for which students earned grades at another institution do not count against the 30-credit limit.Classes at Camp Davis may not be elected on a Pass/Fail basis (effective  Spring Term 2012).Non-graded courses may be included in a distribution plan.Pass/Fail courses may not be included in a plan for the major or in a minor.Experiential and Directed Reading/Independent Study courses that are graded on a Credit/No Credit or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis may be included in a major program.The final course in a sequence used to fulfill the Language Requirement may not be elected on a Pass/Fail basis. (Effective for all students admitted to the College in Fall Term, 1995 and thereafter.)In computing the grade point average for honorary societies, the reported letter grades for "non-graded" elections are computed into the cumulative grade point average.No course elected "Pass/Fail" will receive the Honors notation on the transcript or be counted as an "Honors" course for the Sophomore Honors Award.A student may pay a special fee set by the Registrar's Office and request a specially prepared appendix to the transcript on which the original grades submitted for all courses elected "Pass/Fail" are listed.

Students are expected to elect courses for credit. Occasionally, however, a student may wish to attend a course but not elect it for credit. This arrangement can take the form of an official audit (sometimes called Visitor status).An official audit obligates a student to attend classes regularly and complete course requirements (e.g., papers, laboratory assignments, tests, and the final examination). Regular tuition fees apply, and the course appears on the transcript with the grade VI (Audit); and no degree credit is earned. To arrange an official audit, a student must submit a Request for Audit Status form to the Academic Standards Board, 1255 Angell Hall. A request to officially audit a course must be approved by the end of the third week of a full term or second week of a half-term. Students who do not fulfill course requirements earn the grade ED to indicate that the course was unofficially dropped. In these cases, the term and cumulative grade point averages remain unaffected.