- Prospective Students
- FTVM Major
- Global Media Studies Minor
- Screenwriting Sub-Major
- FTVM Honors Program
- Study Abroad
- Transfer Credit
- Scholarships, Awards & Grants
- Film & Video Student Association
- WOLV TV
- Studio Spotlight
- Student Productions
- Guest Artists and Scholars @ FTVM
- Graduation 2024
- Graduation 2023
- Graduation 2022
- 2021 Graduation Celebration
Thinking about a Degree in Film, Television, and Media?
In contrast to a traditional film school or art school model, the Department of Film, Television, and Media integrates critical studies and creative production in film, television, and new media within a large world-class university. Within this department, students can elect courses in studies, production, and/or screenwriting.
- An integrated major in both screen studies (film, television, and new media) and production (creative, hands-on practice) taught by world-class faculty
- State-of-the-art production studios featuring professional-grade film and television production equipment
- The opportunity to pursue a sub-major in screenwriting or a minor in Global Media Studies
- An honors program that supports students in producing an advanced film or television project, writing an original feature-length screenplay/teleplay, or writing a studies-based thesis
- Access to renowned guest artists and scholars who visit to share their experiences and insights through lectures, workshops, and discussions
- The opportunity to be a part of WOLV TV, our student-run television program
- An extensive alumni network and internship opportunities that span the nation including LA and NYC
How Do I Apply? Do I need a Portfolio?
The Department of Film, Television, and Media is one of the 75 academic units in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA). Students interested in majoring in the Department of Film, Television, and Media must first apply to LSA and be accepted into the college. At that point, they may begin taking our classes.
Please note that a creative portfolio is not required, nor are we able to accept one as a supplement to your application.
Take a Peek at Our Classes
Still have questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Department of Film, Television, and Media prepares students to create and study film, media, and digital worlds in which stories represent multiple life experiences and points of view. Our classes are designed to engage students intellectually and creatively as they develop projects wherein diversity -- informed by race, ethnicity, gender, religious beliefs, class, sexuality, ability, and nationality—is nurtured and welcomed. We celebrate having a diverse group of students who enrich classroom interactions, learning experiences, and creative endeavors. Our faculty and staff are committed to developing and sustaining a working environment in which diversity, equity, and inclusion are the norm.