- Academic Information
- Sophomore Honors Award
- Honors Funding Opportunities
- Honors Summer Fellowships
- Graduation Information
- Honors Housing
- Honors Community
- Thesis Assistance
- Honors Employment Opportunities
During the time windows listed below, students may click Apply Online (right) to access the online Google application form. The Honors Program and its students are very appreciative of the donors who make these grants possible.
Fall Cycle: Applications begin the first Monday of October and close the first Monday of November.
Winter Cycle: Applications begin the first Monday of February and close the first Monday of March.
FAQ Regarding Honors Grants
What constitutes an Honors Grant?
Supplementary funding for Honors students’ activities is made possible by generous donations from our alumni and supporters (see below). Priority will be given to research related to Honors theses, presentations at professional conferences, and international travel. However, all Honors students are welcome to apply. If you have questions regarding eligibility, please direct them to email@example.com.
What kinds of expenses are eligible or ineligible?
Our top priorities are to support thesis-related research, research-related travel (including conference presentations), and international travel. Additional proposals will be considered pending available funding.
- Per diem
- Conference registration fees
- Research materials not provided by your lab or research sponsor
- We will consider requests under $100 for software if it is integral to research and it is not available on the public domain.
- Applications for inducements for research subjects will be evaluated. If funding is granted, the student will submit their proposal to the Human Subjects Incentives Program where it will be reviewed. If approved, the project will be funded by Honors through the HSIP.
- UM Tuition including CGIS program fees (although travel funding in support of CGIS trips is eligible)
- Money for living expenses in Ann Arbor in support of summer research (Eligible students should apply to the Honors Summer Fellows program.)
- Personal property or equipment that will outlast the research project (e.g. cameras, recording devices, or computers)
- Standard lab materials/expenses
Questions about eligible expenses can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ineligible expenses may not be included in your amount requested from Honors, but may be included in the itemized budget on the application to give the committee an idea of your overall expenses.
What is the application deadline?
The early submission deadline for Fall semester is the first Monday of October, closing the first Monday of November, and Winter semester is first Monday of February, closing the first Monday of March. It is best to submit requests before the early deadline; this gives students the best opportunity to receive funding.
NOTE: If immediate research needs or opportunities arise outside of the October and February funding windows, students should send a short description of their request to email@example.com. These requests will be considered on a case by case basis.
Information regarding faculty endorsements.
Research and travel grant applications for more than $250 require endorsement by a faculty member familiar with the project (e.g. thesis advisor or research sponsor). The two exceptions to this requirement are:
- CGIS or other study abroad programs or
- summer internships.
These proposals do not require faculty endorsement.
You will need to provide your faculty sponsor access to this page, so that s/he may use the faculty link below. This form includes questions on the feasibility of the project, appropriateness of the requested budget, and other sources of funding. Please discuss these issues with your faculty sponsor prior to submitting your grant application to ensure a speedy response. Faculty endorsements must be received for your application to be considered complete and proceed to the review stage. If you have questions regarding faculty endorsement, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org.