Welcome to the Fall 2021 semester! We hope all of our Cognitive Science students had a healthy, restful summer.
To help make a smooth transition back to campus, please read about the Weinberg Institute’s advising hours and policies, Registrar’s Office grading policies, and the Welcome Back event for cognitive science majors, all of which are detailed below.
Weinberg Institute Advising
Hours and Policies
The Weinberg Institute will offer in-person, virtual, and phone advising/office hours throughout the semester. Here are the highlights of our advising policies for the Fall 2021 semester:
- Advising appointments will be offered regularly Monday-Thursday from 9am-4pm, with limited appointments available on Fridays. You may always email firstname.lastname@example.org if none of the appointments listed in the Advising Calendar works for you.
- Students MUST make an appointment in order to come for advising/office hours. No walk-in appointments are permitted. If you wish for a same-day appointment, you MUST check the advising portal for availability, or request an appointment via email or phone.
- In accordance with University policy, students MUST wear a mask at advising appointments, regardless of vaccination status.Students who refuse to wear a mask will have their appointment cancelled.
- Peer facilitators will offer in-person, virtual, or phone advising throughout the semester, with the ability to select their preferred format.
- Although the 9th floor will be unlocked and accessible, all communal study spaces will be closed.
Registrar's Office Grading Policies
Unlike Winter 2020, Fall 2020, and Winter/Spring/Summer 2021, LSA students are now subject to pre-COVID grading policies. This means:
- Classes taken Fall 2021 or later must be taken for a letter grade in order to receive credit towards the major. Pass/Fail classes will no longer be accepted for credit towards the major.
- Classes taken Pass/Fail will no longer have the “No-Record Covid (NCR)” grading option.
- The Registrar's Office is temporarily extending the more flexible withdrawal policy, allowing students to withdraw from a course at any time up until the last day of class. However, in a difference from the previous policy, if a student withdraws from a course after the drop/add deadline, it will appear on the student’s official transcript with a W grade.
- You can review further 2021-2022 grading policies on the Office of the Registrar’s website.
Welcome Back Event
The Weinberg Institute invites our Cognitive Science majors to attend our Welcome Back event on Wednesday, September 8 from 11:30 am to 1 pm on the lawn in front of Weiser Hall. This will be a time for students to mingle, receive their t-shirts (if you have declared WN 2020 or later and filled out our t-shirt survey), meet with advisors and peer facilitators, and enjoy some light refreshments. We strongly encourage students to wear masks, even though this will be an outdoor event.
Hope to see you there!