Sweetland offers three ways for currently enrolled, U-M Ann Arbor undergraduates to receive writing assistance:
- Writing Workshop (In-Person and Online)
- Peer Writing Center (In-Person and Online)
- Peer Writing Center (eTutoring)
Sweetland Writing Support Guidelines
Who We Serve & What Type of Writing You Can Bring In
Who We Serve
If you are a currently enrolled undergraduate University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) student, this page is for you!
Also note that, if you are a recent grad, you can make one appointment per half term during the Spring/Summer at the Peer Writing Center for assistance with resumes and application materials.
International students: If you are an international or multilingual student who would prefer to meet with a second language specialist, you can schedule an appointment with the English Language Institute's Speaking and Writing Studio.
Graduate students: Please visit our Graduate Student page where you’ll find information on scheduling a Writing Workshop appointment as well as other writing support available to graduate students.
Types of Writing You Can Bring In
Writing Workshop is funded by the university for materials related to courses and academic research. Writing Workshop faculty consultants can help with any writing or multimodal/digital media project assigned for a course at the University of Michigan.
Need help with cover letters, resumes, personal statements, and other non-course-related materials? Please visit the peer writing consultants in the Sweetland Peer Writing Centers. They will also work with you on course-related writing and multimodal/digital media projects.
Please note that your instructor cannot require you to visit Writing Workshop or the Peer Writing Centers, and consultants cannot sign anything or otherwise provide evidence of your visit. If you come see us, we want it to be your choice, and we know from research and experience that writing consultation works best when you genuinely want to talk to us.
If you’re working on a collaborative or group project, we need 50% or more of the group to be present for the consultation, so that your visit is also part of the collaboration.
Check with us or your instructor before bringing in a take-home exam. Consultants cannot help you with take-home exams unless the instructor has given Sweetland written permission to provide assistance. Sweetland needs to receive the permission, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, at least 24 hours before your scheduled appointment. Thanks for helping us respect university standards for academic integrity.
Scheduling Your Appointment
Peer Writing Center/OWL Appointment and Scheduling Limits
You may schedule one 45-minute appointment per day in the Peer Writing Center. But you may not make a Peer Writing Center Online Appointment and an eTutoring appointment on the same day. Please schedule one or the other to allow for other students to receive help. Appointments can be scheduled up to seven calendar days in advance.
If you are disabled or differently abled, please let us know what you may need to have an effective WW consultation. It would help us greatly if you give us advance notice by emailing email@example.com about any steps we could take to make this consultation fully accessible for you.
Writing Workshop Appointment and Scheduling Limits
You may schedule one 30-minute appointment per week in the Writing Workshop, with a limit of fifteen visits in a full term (seven in a half term), including walk-ins. These limits allow us to meet with as many students as we can each term. Appointments can be scheduled up to seven calendar days in advance.
If you are disabled or differently abled, please let us know what you may need to have an effective WW consultation. It would help us greatly if you give us advance notice by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org about any steps we could take to make this consultation fully accessible for you.
Scheduling Your Appointment
1. Visit Sweetland's Peer Writing Center scheduling website or Writing Workshop’s scheduling website. These are two separate systems.
2. Follow the instructions on the schedule website main page.
3. If you have already registered this academic year, please type in your umich.edu email address and the password you created. Previously registered students will need to update their account information each year. If you have not registered, follow the instructions to register.
4. The next page that will load (the Schedule) is where you can make your appointment. Openings in the schedule are identified by white blocks.
5. Locate the day, time, and consultant (if preferred) you would like an appointment with. Click on the appropriate white block of time; a “New appointment” window will appear.
6. Complete the form.
7. Click "Save" to make your appointment.
8. You will receive an email confirmation of your appointment.
If all available appointments are booked on the day you wish to visit, you may sign up for the waitlist.
1. From the schedule page, click on the clock icon to the left of the date you wish to visit, and the waitlist window will appear.
2. Select your preferences then click the “add to waiting list” button.
When there is a cancellation, you will be notified via email or text message. Then, you may schedule the appointment as usual. Other students on the waitlist will also receive an email or text notification, and appointments will be scheduled on a first-come first-served basis.
Appointment Day - What to Have With You, Late Arrivals, & What Happens
What to Have With You
1. Reasonable expectations: What one or two issues would you like to discuss with the writing consultant? If you have a really long paper, on what part or parts would you like to focus?
2. Your assignment sheet, writing prompt, and any guidelines or rubrics you’ve been given.
3. Ideas about or a draft of your writing project in electronic or hard copy.
When You Arrive
For In-Person Appointments
Peer Writing Centers: When you arrive, check in with staff and wait for your appointment to begin.
Writing Workshop: Your consultant will meet you in the lobby.
For Online Appointments
See the Online Consultations - How to accordions under the Writing Workshop and Peer Writing Center sections below.
Arriving on time ensures that you and the consultant will have ample time to discuss your writing. If you are 10 minutes late, you will lose your appointment.
What Happens at Your Consultation
1. Most sessions begin with a brief discussion of the assignment you're working on and the kind of help you're looking for.
2. Come prepared to participate in an active collaboration with your consultant -- for example, by asking and answering questions, reading through the paper aloud, generating ideas, making notes on your own draft, etc.
3. An effective session will often focus on global concerns (e.g., thesis, ideas, evidence, organization) before addressing local concerns such as grammar and punctuation. Prioritizing global concerns assures that you won’t spend time fixing sentences that might not even support your aim for the paper.
4. While consultants are happy to work with you on your local grammatical and mechanical concerns, we avoid proofreading or "correcting" papers. We can help you identify patterns of error, proofread more effectively, and improve clarity and style. If you’re ready to address local concerns, expect to focus on one or two concerns per consultation.
Rescheduling or Canceling Your Appointment
If for any reason you need to modify or cancel an appointment, try to let us know at least 90 minutes prior to the appointment time. This allows Sweetland to assist as many writers as possible. Thank you for your courtesy to our consultants and your fellow writers!Please schedule, modify, and cancel your own appointments online. If you encounter technical difficulties with the scheduling system or have questions about your appointment, please email email@example.com.
How to Reschedule or Cancel Appointments
1. Visit the scheduling site you made your appointment on, either the Peer Writing Center or Writing Workshop schedule.
2. Select the schedule from the drop-down menu on which you made your initial reservation.
3. Navigate to the date on which your appointment was scheduled.
4. Click on the orange box, which opens your reservation panel.
5. If you need to make a change, edit the panel as necessary. Click “Save Changes.” If you need to cancel the appointment, select the "cancel" box at the bottom of the page. Then click "Save Changes."
6. You will receive an email notification confirming the action.
What if Sweetland needs to cancel my appointment? (e.g., consultant illness)
If the Sweetland Center for Writing needs to cancel your appointment due to consultant illness, you will be notified by email as soon as possible. We will make every effort to reschedule the appointment with another consultant for the same time before canceling an appointment.
Peer Writing Center: If you miss an appointment, you will be unable to schedule another appointment for that day. Although you won’t be able to make an appointment, you are still welcome to use Sweetland’s walk-in services. If you miss multiple appointments, your ability to make reservations may be frozen; however, you may continue to use our services on a walk-in basis.These policies help us serve as many students as possible each semester.
Writing Workshop: If you miss an appointment, you will be unable to schedule another appointment for one week. You will be notified via email when this occurs. Although you won’t be able to make an appointment, you are still welcome to use Sweetland’s walk-in services. If you miss two appointments, you will be unable to schedule an appointment for the remainder of the semester; however, you may continue to use our services on a walk-in basis. These policies help us serve as many students as possible each semester.
Loss of Power / Internet Connectivity
In the event you or the consultant lose power or internet connectivity during your online appointment, please attempt to reconnect to the appointment, as long as there is time remaining in your original appointment time slot. If reconnecting fails, your session will end at that time and you will be able to reschedule.
Peer Writing Center: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to notify Sweetland's Receptionists and Undergraduate Program Coordinator that your appointment was disconnected prematurely due to power or internet connectivity issues and that you would like to schedule another appointment.
Writing Workshop: Please email email@example.com to notify Sweetland's Writing Workshop Coordinator that your appointment was disconnected prematurely due to power or internet connectivity issues and that you would like to schedule another appointment.
You'll receive a response as soon as possible letting you know you may schedule another appointment that same week.
For instructions on how to join an online appointment please click the Online Consultations - How To tab below.
Writing Workshop (In-Person or Online)
AUGUST 30 - DECEMBER 10
(closed Sept 6, Oct 18-19, Nov 24-26)
(closed Wednesdays 12-2pm)
• Led by U-M Sweetland faculty
• Any writing assignment for a course
• 30-minute sessions
Online Consultations - How To
1. Log in to our online schedule where you made your appointment.
2. Click on your appointment box at least five minutes prior to the start time.
3. In the Appointment Window, click the Start or Join Online Consultation link.
4. In the new popup window, click Connect then click Start Publishing.
5. In the bottom right corner click Start Video Chat.
6. An Adobe Flash Player dialog box will ask you for Camera and Microphone access. Choose Allow. Note: We recommend wearing headphones during the session to prevent audio feedback.
7. Should you have difficulty connecting via video you can use the Text Chat Box in the lower right hand corner to communicate with your Consultant.
8. The Consultant will guide you through uploading your paper. If you are early, you can read the information posted on the Whiteboard (main text area) about how the interface works.
Peer Writing Center (In-Person, Online & eTutoring)
SEPTEMBER 19 - DECEMBER 10
(closed Oct 18-19, Nov 23-28)
• Led by undergrad Peer Writing Consultants
• Any kind of writing (coursework or other)
• 45-minute sessions for online appointments
In-Person: one-to-one consultation at our main Peer Writing Center or satellite location
Online Appointments (Google Meet): real-time online consultation with a Peer Writing Consultant
eTutoring Appointments: receive written feedback on your writing project via email
Peer Writing Center
Shapiro Library, Second Floor, Room 2160
Monday-Thursday 5-10pm (closed Wednesday 5-6pm for staff meeting)
Alice Lloyd Hall, Room 1059
Trotter Multicultural Center, Second Floor
Online and eTutoring
Online Consultations (Google Meet) - How To
Before your appointment - Link your writing sample and any prompts in a single Google document. There will be a field for this in the WCOnline Appointment Form.
During your appointment time:
1. Log in to our online Schedule where you made your appointment.
2. Click on your appointment box at least five minutes prior to the start time.
3. Have your writing project open in another screen on your computer
4. In the Appointment Window, click the Google Meet link that your consultant shared in your appointment form.
5. Click "join meeting"
6. Should you have difficulty connecting via video you can use email or Google Chat to contact your consultant
eTutoring - How To
"eTutoring"--we provide written feedback on your writing project via email
- Make an appointment on the online Schedule
- Combine the assignment prompt and your paper into one document if possible; a wide variety of document formats are accepted.
- Upload your document to WCOnline at the bottom of the appointment form.
- Give your document a name in the corresponding box in WCOnline (your last name would be a good choice; this is helpful when the consultant downloads the document to respond to it).
- Include in the document a copy of the assignment prompt and/or rubric.
- As a backup, please share a link to your document via Google Docs and ensure that anyone at University of Michigan can edit it.
- Watch your email for notification that a peer consultant has responded to your paper. You can expect that your paper will be responded to by the end of the appointment time.