The Dissertation Writing Institute is for graduate students whose research is complete or nearly complete, who have conceptualized the principal elements of the dissertation, and who have already begun to write the dissertation.
Spring 2021 DWI Status: At this point, we do not know whether the Spring 2021 DWI will be conducted in person or remotely. We will keep monitoring the situation with the COVID pandemic to determine how to better proceed with a health-informed DWI: whether in person or remote.
Participants during the Spring 2021 term are asked to work for at least six consecutive hours each week-day during the eight weeks of the program. Students participate in group discussions, where they share their writing and receive feedback in workshops. In addition, participants receive individual, writing consultations with a Sweetland faculty member. Participants may not hold another position during the eight-week period of the Institute and must work exclusively on their dissertations.
Department Chairs and Directors nominate up to four advanced graduate students who they believe will benefit by participating in this Institute. The nomination, containing the following information, should be emailed to Laura Schuyler firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Student's name(s) and email address
- Dissertation Chair's name(s) and email address
Nominations for Spring 2021 Department nominations for Spring 2021 are due Friday, January 29, 2021. These students will then be contacted by Sweetland and asked to apply.
Student Application Materials
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit the following as a single PDF by Friday, February 12, 2021, to Laura Schuyler email@example.com.
- Application cover sheet (download the .docx file here)
- A letter from you explaining the nature and scope of your dissertation, the progress you have made on it to date, writing issues you would like to address, and how interacting with a Sweetland faculty member and a group of peers will help you. This letter should be no more than two pages, single-spaced.
- One chapter
- Curriculum vitae
- Dissertation Chair Letter of Support (Chair should email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org)
You will be notified by March 5th, 2021, if you have been accepted.
The Dissertation Writing Institute is supported by the College of Literature, Science & the Arts, the Rackham Graduate School, and the Sweetland Center for Writing.