Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Transfer Credit

The Department of Romance Languages & Literatures enthusiastically welcomes transfer students into any of the majors and minors offered in our department.  We will work with you to evaluate and approve transfer credits from your previous college or university. Please read the information below, and contact to make an appointment with an advisor. We are excited to work with you.

Elementary Language Courses (100 - 232)

Transfer credit for elementary language courses is only accepted for new and incoming transfer students. Per LSA Policy, the LSA Language Requirement must be taken in-residence either at UM Ann Arbor or through UM 230 or 232 study abroad programs only. Exceptions are granted very rarely and must be approved in advance.

If you are a new or incoming transfer student, first through third-term language courses will transfer as generic departmental credit (e.g. French 101x, Italian 101x, Spanish 101x, Portuguese 101x). Only fourth-term language courses, with content comparable to 232 (e.g. French 232, Italian 232, Spanish 232, Portuguese 232) will transfer as a direct equivalent to 232 and satisfy the LSA Language Requirement. Students are required to take a placement test and are only eligible to register for the course they place into. Questions regarding transfer credit and placement should be directed to  

Upper Level Courses in French, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish (beyond 230/232)

RLL only evaluates courses to be used for French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and/or Romance Languages and Literatures major/minor credit.

Courses listed in the Undergraduate Admissions transfer credit database are primarily listed as departmental credit (i.e. Spanish 301x). These designations do not reflect how the courses will count towards a major or minor. 

Out-of-residence credit limitations for each major and minor can be found under the major/minor requirements section of the RLL website.

Transfer students (admitted and prospective):

If you are planning to pursue a major or minor in a romance language, please email (spring/summer) or schedule an advising appointment (fall/winter) to have your courses evaluated as soon as possible so you may register for a course at the appropriate level.  RLL requires detailed course syllabi and the student's coursework (exams, papers, quizzes, etc) for transfer evaluation. 

Continuing students:

Transfer courses to be used for RLL major/minor credit must be approved in advance. Students should schedule an advising appointment through the RLL website and bring detailed program information as well as course syllabi for review.

Please note, online courses taught asynchronously are not eligible for major/minor credit. 

RLL Transfer Credit Checklist (PDF)