If the Organizational Studies major sounds like a good fit for you, come talk to us about your educational goals. Find out more below on how to explore, prepare, and apply to the Organizational Studies Program.
- Explore this website! Particularly useful are the Curriculum page and the Prospective Student FAQs page.
- Sign up for the OS prospective student email list to get announcements of all informational events for prospective students.
- Attend an OS Information Night.
- Make an appointment with the Prospective Student Advisor or a Peer Mentor.
- Visit us at the Major/Minor Expo or at Festifall.
- Three prerequisite courses are required for all applicants:
- Intro Psychology (Psych 111, 112, 114, or 115)
- Intro Sociology (Soc 100, 102, 195, or 300)
- Intro Microeconomics (Econ 101)
- AP/IB credit and exact transfer credit are accepted to fulfill prerequisites. If you plan to complete a prerequisite course at another institution, you should see an OS prospective student advisor and review the UM Transfer Guides (Be especially cautious about online courses).
- It is preferred that all three prereqs be completed at the time of application, but you are eligible to apply if you have at least two prereqs completed (with grades showing) and are currently enrolled in the third prerequisite at the time of application.
- There is no minimum grade required in the prerequisites, but admission is very competitive to this academically rigorous program, so it is important to perform your best and to maintain a strong cumulative GPA.
- Interested students should apply during the winter term of their sophomore year. Students may only apply to the OS program once.
- The Organizational Studies major is designed to be a 2-year program. Due to our curriculum sequencing, it is not possible to complete the program in one year. Please see an OS prospective student advisor if you have any questions about the OS curriculum sequencing.
- Admission to the OS program is highly competitive, so it is important to develop a backup plan that will still allow you to meet your educational goals.
- OS welcomes applications from students who have transferred to UM, but you must be admitted to UM before applying to the OS Program.
- The 2018 OS Application is now OPEN!
- The deadline for the application is Mon Jan 15, 11:59pm.
- The application consists of three parts: application form, essay, and resume.
- You are not required to submit transcripts. The OS Program will obtain your transcripts from UM records. If you have attended another college and the transcript has not been received at UM, please contact us.
- You may start an application, save it, and return to it as many times as you like before submitting. Once you submit, you can no longer make changes to the application.
- All applications receive a holistic review by members of a faculty committee.
- Students will be notified of decisions by email the week before Spring break.
- For more information about the application or the application review process, please visit the Prospective Student FAQs page.