Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}


Effective Fall 2021:  You have until the last day of class the Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer terms to decide whether you want to record a class as Pass/Fail. After the last day of class has passed, you cannot change from Graded to Pass/Fail. Please consult an advisor if you need help thinking through this decision. 

Why Consider Choosing to Record a Class as Pass/Fail?

This can be a nice option if you want to take a course that’s not in an area of particular strength for you. Perhaps there’s a distribution course or an elective that’s really interesting, but you don’t have much background in that area. Choosing to record your grade as pass/fail for such a class will allow you to explore the breadth of the LSA curriculum without being as concerned about the impact on your GPA.

How Does the Pass/Fail Option Work?

Instructors do not know you’re choosing to record their class as pass/fail unless you tell them, so they will post a traditional letter grade (i.e., A+ through E). The Registrar’s Office then converts that grade to a “P” or an “F.”  Grades of C- or higher are recorded as a P. Grades below C- are recorded as an F and no credit is earned for the course. Either way, it does not figure into your GPA.

How to Record a Class as Pass/Fail

Weeks 1-3:
Note during this time period, you can switch back and forth between P/F and “graded” (i.e., recording a class for a traditional letter grade) on your own and as many times as you need. However please confirm that your selection is correct before the third week deadline.

Step 1: From your Backpack/Registration page in Wolverine Access select the EDIT tab. 

Step 2: Select the course you wish to edit in the drop down menu and click "Next."

Step 3: Select "Optional Pass/Fail" in the drop down menu next to "Grading" and then click "Next." 

Step 4: Click "Finish Editing" to complete the process.Need more help?  Watch the video.

Week 4 - Last Day of Class:
During this time, you can switch from "graded" to P/F via a Late Edit request. You can only submit this request one time, and you can't move from P/F back to "graded." Please be sure this is the right decision for you, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to consult an advisor for help.  

Step 1: From the Student Center, click Backpack/Registration. 

Step 2: On the Edit tab, select the class from your schedule to be edited and click the "Proceed to Step 2 of 3" button.  

Step 3: Change the grading and/or units as needed, then click the "Next" button.  

Step 4: Confirm the edits to your enrollment options and click the "Finish Editing" button.

Step 5: If you are eligible to submit a Late Edit request form electronically, a "Request for Late Edit" button displays. Click the button to access the form. If you are not eligible to submit a request, an error message is displayed.

Are There Any Restrictions on Pass/Fail?

  • You cannot record courses in your major or minor as pass/fail.
  • You cannot record fourth-semester language courses being used to satisfy the LSA Language Requirement as pass/fail.
  • You can count a maximum of 30 credits of ungraded work toward your degree. This includes courses that you choose to record as Pass/Fail, as well as courses that are mandatory Credit/No Credit and Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory. Note: COVID P/NRC grades do not count towards the 30 credit limit.

What Other Factors Should I Consider When Deciding Whether to Record a Class Pass/Fail?

  • Remember that you have until the last of class to decide to switch from recording a class with a letter grade to pass/fail. However after the third week of a full term, you cannot go in the other direction (i.e., decide to switch from P/F to a letter grade). Therefore, if there's any doubt, we strongly recommend that you keep your grading modality as "graded" and reevaluate whether it makes sense to switch to Pass/Fail closer to the end of the semester. 
  • It’s not a good idea to record a class Pass/Fail if there’s any chance it could be related to graduate school, professional school, or career plans. Pre-med students, for example, are strongly advised not to record any of their science classes Pass/Fail.
  • Consider your personal habits and work style. Will you be tempted to put off or ignore assignments for your Pass/Fail class? You’ll need to be sure you’ll still work hard enough to get the Pass.
  • If you’re sending out a transcript and you want someone to see the grade “under” the Pass, you can pay a fee to have the Registrar prepare a special attachment which will show that grade.

The complete College of LSA's policies on ungraded coursework can be found here.

General Questions? Use our chat feature between 10a and 12p to talk to our front desk team.