Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Honors Academic Policies, Petitions, and the HAB

Honors students may request a requirement substitution or policy exception by submitting a petition to the Honors Academic Board or HAB. The forms on this site should be used by LSA Honors Program students only. Residential College students petition the RC Board on Academic Standing. All other LSA students petition the LSA Academic Standards Board.

Substitutions for General LSA Requirements
Bachelor of Science
Distribution (HU, NS, SS, MSA, CE, ID)
First Year Writing Requirement
Upper Level Writing Requirement 
Quantitative Reasoning 
Race & Ethnicity
Language Substitutions

Exceptions for Major or Minor Requirements
Only departmental advisors can approve substitutions or exceptions for the major or minor. Please contact the department to find out about their policies and procedures.

Academic Policy Exceptions
Drop/Add Guidelines
Modification of Credit Hours
Late Modification of Credit Hours (after late drop/add deadline only)
Request for Term Withdrawal 
Incompletes and Time Extensions
Auditing a Course 

Petitions for Items NOT Listed Above

For all other requests, students should use the general HAB Petition [PDF], addressed to the HAB. The petition should state the specific request and set forth all the reasons why the request is necessary, justified, or helpful to the student's academic program. Submit your petition to the Honors Office via email to

Honors Academic Policies, Petitions, and the HAB

The policies and procedures described in the LSA Academic Policies portion of the LSA website govern the conduct of academic matters affecting students enrolled in the College. Exceptions to these policies may be granted only upon written petition to an Academic Board. Honors students petition the Honors Academic Board (HAB); Residential College students petition the RC Board on Academic Standing (BOAS); mainstream LSA students petition the Academic Standards Board (ASB).

You are responsible for knowing the academic rules, requirements, and deadlines of the College. If you are uncertain about whether a petition is appropriate for your situation, make an appointment with a board member and we’ll help you identify options and next steps.

In the case of a grade complaint, also known as a Grade Grievance, a petition is replaced by following the Grade Grievance procedure established by the College of LSA. Only grade grievances that pertain to Honors courses (course prefix must be Honors, e.g., Honors 241) will be handled by the Honors Program’s Grade Grievance Committee. Grade grievances pertaining to other departments’ courses, including Honors sections of those courses, must be handled by the department offering the course. Your Honors academic advisor can discuss with you the grade grievance procedure should you have any questions or concerns. Click here for more information regarding Grade Grievances.

Here are answers to frequently asked questions:

Application for Reactivation in Honors

If you have not been registered for two or more years, you must complete this form and call
(734) 764-6274 to schedule a meeting or phone appointment with an Honors Academic Board member before you can be reactivated.

LSA Honors Chat