- Academic Policies and Processes
- Curriculum and Courses
- Financial Aid Resources
- Honors Program
- Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Major of the Month
- Project Community
- Sociology and Social Work Subplan
- Sociology of Health & Medicine
- SHM Subplan
- SHM Minor
- Sociology Major
- Sociology Opportunities for Undergraduate Leaders (SOUL)
- Sociology Undergraduate Research Opportunity - SOC 394
- Student Organizations
- Study Abroad
- Transfer Students and Transfer Credit
- What can I do with a Sociology degree?
- Writing Awards
SHM Minor Requirements
Before declaring the minor in Sociology of Health & Medicine, students must complete a pre-requisite course with a C- or better. The credits from the prerequisite course cannot be included in the 15 credits required to complete the minor plan.
- First and second year students should enroll in either SOC 100: Intro to Soc, SOC 102: Intro to Soc: Special Topics, or SOC 195: Honors Intro to Soc.
- Third and fourth year students should enroll in either SOC 300: Principles and Problems of Sociology or SOC 302: Health & Society- Intro to Soc.
- A student must complete at least 15 credit hours with a C- or better from the following list of approved courses.
- A minimum of 9 credits must be elected in the SHM minor at the 300-level or above (excluding prerequisite).
Approved SHM Minor Courses:
- SOC 207: Sociology of Suffering
- SOC 225: Project Community- Public Health section
- SOC 230: Health & Population in South Africa
- SOC 325: Project Community: Advanced Practicum - Public Health section
- SOC 330: Population Problems
- SOC 345: Sociology of Sexuality
- SOC 346: Sociology of the Body
- SOC 430: World Population Dynamics
- SOC 445: Diagnosis, Sex, & Society
- SOC 474: Social Inequalities in Health
- SOC 475: Health, Medicine, & Society
- SOC 476: Sociology of Bioethics
- SOC 477: Death & Dying
- appropriate topics in SOC 295, 394 (SURO), 395 (Independent Study), 396 (Internship), 495
A maximum of 6 credits for the SHM minor may come from Experiential Learning or Independent Study style courses. This includes but is not limited to SOC 225, 394, 395, 468, and 396.
The department will allow up to one course with significant sociological content related to Sociology of Health & Medicine from other LSA departments or transfer institutions to be included in the minor plan. Students interested in petitioning to include a non-SOC course or transfer course in their minor plan should complete the course petition process which includes submitting a petition form and the course syllabus.
Students majoring in Sociology with a subplan in Sociology of Health & Medicine are not permitted to elect a minor in Sociology of Health & Medicine.
I have questions about the SHM minor
If you have questions about your progress with LJSC Minor requirements, schedule an advising appointment
If you have questions about your LSA or distribution requirements, your should contact your general advisor (LSA, RC, CSP, Honors).
If you have questions about your overall degree progress, you can use the My LSA Audit Checklist tool to get a snapshot of your degree progress, broken down into requirement groups.