Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}


Students who are interested in any of the Program in Biology majors or minors are encouraged to check in with our office early in their academic careers.

It is not necessary to complete every prerequisite before declaring a major in the Program in Biology. See a major advisor or visit the Peer Advising team for more information!

Advising Appointments

To schedule an advising appointment, please visit the Biology online scheduling site. U-M login is required.  Appointments are scheduled for 30 minutes; the duration of the appointment will depend upon what the student wishes to discuss. Students may discuss any aspect of their academic careers! (NOTE: Please be advised that the first three weeks and the last three weeks of fall and winter terms are the busiest times for advising in the Program in Biology. During this time it may take one or two weeks to get an appointment, so plan ahead.)

Peer Advisor Walk-in Advising

Drop-in advising with Peer Advisors will be available during busy times of the year and will be published at the office, on this site, and via email announcements!  (Meet this year's Peer Advisors.)  If you have an immediate concern, you may stop by anytime to see if an advisor or staff member has time to answer a quick question.  You may have to wait, but we can usually provide some immediate assistance.  Complicated issues will likely require a follow-up appointment.

Request a Major/Minor Release Online

Major/minor releases can be requested without an advising appointment only for students who meet the following criteria:

  1. Declared Program in Biology or Neuroscience major or minor
  2. LSA Online Audit Checklist is error-free

If these apply to you, you may request a release online (no appointment necessary).

[Note:  If these do not apply to you, please make an advising appointment.]

NEW! Drop-In BHS Advising 

Students pursuing or interested in the Biology, Health, and Society major can sign up to meet with Caitlin Hoyng. Caitlin is available to meet in person and virtually. Please find a time at the schedule linked below. 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

Requesting an Exception to a Requirement

Any student with a major or minor in one of the Program in Biology plans may request an exception to a program requirement by completing the form linked below.  Exceptions will only be granted for courses that meet the spirit and meet or exceed the rigor of the requirement in question.  Requests will be reviewed by the Program in Biology Curriculum Committee and students can expect a response in 7-10 business days.  Questions?  Email: