Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Services for Students

Support Services for Students

Below are two of the most commonly requested services, but there are many, many resources on campus for students in special situations.  If you have a student that you think would benefit from additional support, please let the Undergraduate Office know and we will assist.

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)

The SSD Office assists students and faculty in providing appropriate accommodations for students with documented special needs.

If a student comes to you with a request for an accommodation, he or she may offer a "Verified Individualized Services & Accommodations Form" (VISA) with specific accommodations requested.  If they do not, you may still provide special accommodations, but it is reasonable to request a VISA Form (which is very specific with regard to accommodations).

Consider also placing a statement in your syllabus directing students on how to communicate their requests to you.

Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS)

3100 Michigan Union
530 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1308
Tel: 734-764-8312
Fax: 734-763-0454

CAPS provides confidential psychological and psychiatric services for currently enrolled U of M undergraduate and graduate students. They provide walk-in (crisis) services as well as appointment-based individual or group sessions.

Counselor on Duty is available for crises or urgent concerns. Students must ask to see the Counselor on Duty. A staff or faculty member can personally walk a student to CAPS to be sure they are seen if there are serious concerns about the student's safety or well-being. 

  • Top five reasons students visit CAPS: self-esteem, relationship issues, academic concerns, depression, and anxiety
  • Brief therapy model: individual, couples, and group
  • Drop-in workshops and meetings
  • Psychiatric evaluation and medication monitoring in conjunction with ongoing therapy
  • Referrals

Undergraduate Advising / Curriculum

The Undergraduate Office manages the undergraduate advising services for seven undergraduate majors in the biological sciences, as well as for the Undergraduate Program in Neuroscience.

The office offers multi-tier advising:  Peer Advisors, Staff Advisors, and Faculty Advisors work together to provide guidance to our undergraduates in their own areas of expertise.  If a student comes to you with a question about his/her academic plans that would be best answered by a staff advisor, please encourage the student to make an advising appointment.

If you have a question about the curriculum and your course(s) or students, please feel free to contact the Program in Biology Committee or the Neuroscience Faculty Director.  You may also refer to the LSA Instructor Handbook which has a lot of information about undergraduate policies and procedures.

Community Resource Program

"Community Resource" (CR) students are Ann Arbor Public Schools (AAPS) high school students who take UM courses for high school credit. (The program originated in Community High School, but is now open to all AAPS students.) There is no U-M application. The program is coordinated between the student, the CR Coordinator (staff at the CR office in Community High) and the U-M faculty member teaching the course the student wishes to take.

If he/she agrees to allow the student in the class, the instructor adds the student to the Canvas site, but the student is not otherwise enrolled or officially on the U-M lists. There are no U-M permissions to ask (per the Sr. Assoc. Director of Admissions). The instructor tracks the CR student's performance via Canvas or another method. Upon completion of the course, the instructor sends a letter with the grade to the CR Coordinator.