Students declaring their minor in Open Advising from November 26 - December 7, 2018 will not have their declaration entered immediately. Declarations will be entered the week of December 10, 2018.
The Applied Statistics minor is designed to introduce you to applied statistical methodology. Through this minor, you will develop an appreciation for tools that enable you to be involved in the design and analysis of quantitative studies as part of your future professional career or graduate study in an applied field. The Applied Statistics minor is an excellent counterpart to any undergraduate concentration at the University of Michigan.
- MATH 116 or MATH 121
Requirements: Consists of a minimum of 15 credit hours based on the following:
- Core Courses — (STATS 250 or 280) and STATS 306 and STATS 401.
- Elective Courses —
- At least two advanced electives. These may be STATS 403, 408, 449, 470, 480 or other approved courses. One elective may be a quantitative methods course with advanced statistical content offered by another department, with approval from a Statistics Department undergraduate advisor.
- The following courses may not be used as electives for the Applied Statistics Minor: STATS 404, 489 and 499.
- STATS 412 can be used to meet the core requirement (Stats 250 or STATS 280) but cannot be used as an elective.
- At least four of the five courses used to meet the minor requirements must be taken within the University of Michigan's Statistics Department
Requirements for minors declaring before January 1, 2018
- MATH 115 or equivalent
- EECS 183, EECS 285, SI 106 or ENGR 101
Requirements: At least 15 credits of courses, to be chosen from the following categories as stated:
- Core Course — STATS 250/350 and STATS 401.
- Elective Courses — At least three of the following courses:
- STATS 403, 408, 449, 470, 480
- Advanced Statistics courses may be included with prior approval of a Statistics Department undergraduate academic advisor.
- The following courses may not be used as electives for the Applied Statistics Minor:
- STATS 400
- STATS 404
- STATS 412
- STATS 489
- STATS 499
Please also see LSA rules regarding minors.