Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

FAQs for Current Students

Q: What parking and transportation services are available to graduate students?
A: Parking Information

Q: What is the academic calendar at the University of Michigan?
A: Academic Calendar

Q: What are the drop/add deadlines for courses?
A: The Academic Calendar will have the drop/add deadlines for courses.

Q: How do I request permission to enroll in a Statistics course if it is not open on Wolverine Access?
A: Contact to request permission.

Q: What is the process to audit a course?
A: Contact the Department Office to request permission to audit. You will also need permission from the instructor prior to registering to audit a course.

Q: What is the minimum GPA required of Ph.D. students?
A: The minimum cumulative GPA to graduate must be 3.0 (B on the graduate scale). Students whose GPA falls below 3.0 are considered on academic probation. A student remains in good standing with a course grade below B as long as the overall GPA is above 3.0.

Q: Can I get copies of previous QR exams?

A: Copies of previous exams are available in the department office. They are not available online.

Q: How do I apply for an embedded Master’s degree?
A: Please contact the department office.

Q: How can I satisfy my cognate requirements?
A: The PhD program advisor and your faculty mentor or advisor can suggest courses in other departments that could be appropriate. All cognate courses must be approved by the graduate chair.

Q: When should I notify Rackham of my dissertation committee?
A: Rackham asks that they be notified of your committee members at least 6 months before you defend. When you have finalized your dissertation committee information, please submit your details to this form, the Program Coordinator will submit the committee information to Rackham on your behalf.

Q: What is the deadline to advance to candidacy?
A: The candidacy deadlines can be found here.

Q: What is the deadline for Ph.D. students to apply for their degree?
A: Doctoral degree deadlines can be found here.

Q: How can I invite my parents to graduation if they need a visa to enter the U.S.?
A: For information regarding preparing for commencements, please visit the Rackham Graduate Exercises website.

Q: What kind of academic gowns and hoods should I get for graduation?
A: For a listing of Academic Gowns, Hoods, and Colors can be found here.

Q: Where can I find information about commencement?
A: Information about commencement can be found on the Commencement website.

Q: Where can I find information about Optional Practical Training (OPT)?
A: The International Center website is a great resource for Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Q: Where can I find information about Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?
A: The International Center website is a great resource for Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

Q: Where can I find checklists for advancing to candidacy, embedded Masters's degree and graduation?

A: On the Ph.D. Program webpage