Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Global Intercultural Experience for Undergraduates (GIEU)

More info on GIEU Programs

Photo submitted by Alexis Smith.

GIEUs are project-based service-learning programs that offer a more hands-on approach. Perfect for first-time travelers, you can earn a total of 2 credits for taking a semester-long pre-departure course on intercultural learning, and conducting fieldwork abroad for 3-4 weeks during spring or summer. Please note that GIEU has been suspended for 2022. Due to significant concern about entering communities with vulnerable populations in the midst of a pandemic, CGIS does not feel that we can safely or ethically offer the GIEU program at this time. We hope to have GIEUs return for 2023.Eligibility

  • First-Years, Sophomores, Juniors
  • GPA 2.0
  • Instruction in English
  • No language prerequisite

Past GIEU Programs

Bolivia: Urban Agriculture & Community Development

India: Sustainable Nourishment: Haramandar Sahib Langar

Indonesia: Preserving Ecology and Local Culture in a Global World

Israel and Palestine: Conflict Resolution and Co-Resistance

Japan: Community Revitalization

Mexico: Community Development in the Yucatan / Deaf Communitites

Peru: Health Kitchens & Agriculture

South Africa: Community Healthcare & Outreach

Tanzania: Education, Gender & Community Empowerment

Vietnam: Community Development & Entrepreneurship

Scholarships & Funding

The LSA Study Abroad scholarship
Last year, the LSA Scholarship Office awarded over $1.7 Million in LSA Scholarships to students participating in CGIS programs. Over 95% of eligible LSA applicants received an LSA Study Abroad Scholarship ranging from $1,000 to $10,000. Students should apply for the LSA Study Abroad Scholarship at the same time they apply for the program. Scholarships are granted based on financial need and may only be applied to one program per spring/summer period. Click here to apply for the LSA Study Abroad Scholarship!

Are you an LSA Pell Grant Recipient?
All LSA Pell Grant recipients who participate in GIEU can receive the GIEU Grant. The grant pays the entire program fee for GIEU, but students MUST apply for the LSA Study Abroad Scholarship.

Do you receive financial aid? 
Did you know that most U-M-awarded financial aid—grants, loans, and scholarships—may be used to help defray global study program cost? Students who receive financial aid during the school year are eligible to carry over their financial aid package abroad. LSA students who receive financial aid should also apply for the LSA Study Abroad Scholarship for assistance with program fees and travel expenses. Visit the Office of Financial Aid website at for details on how to apply a financial aid package toward a study abroad experience.

Additional Funding

For non-LSA students or students who don't receive financial aid on campus but need additional financial support to study abroad, there are scholarship opportunities! Some funding opportunities are open to all U-M students, while others specify criteria that limit eligibility. Click here for more information on other U-M Scholarships and national scholarships!