Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Transfer Credit

The Department of Asian Languages and Cultures at the University of Michigan welcomes all and any inquiries concerning transferring credits and courses from other institutions.

The first step to take for students interested in transferring credits or courses is to use the Transfer Credit Equivalency (TCE) website, which you can find here: Additionally, you can find previously transferred courses in Asian Studies and Asian Languages here.

Many courses have already been approved for transfer credit and you can use the TCE website above to find out if the courses you want to transfer have already been approved and, if so, for how many credits and at what level (100, 200, 300, or 400-level). If the credits have been transferred as "equivalent credit" (e.g. ASIAN 230), no further action is required. If the credits have been transferred as "departmental credit" (e.g. ASIAN 201X), please make an appointment with a departmental advisor to have the course reviewed. If the course does not currently appear on the TCE website submit an evaluation request using the UM Transfer Credit Equivalency Request Form. If you are informed that a class transfers as departmental credit, make an appointment with a department advisor to have the course evaluated. More details about the departmental approval process can be found at the links at the bottom of the page. You can schedule an appointment with a department advisor using the "Advising Appointments" tab in the left sidebar.

The process of evaluating a course for approval in a major or minor begins with submitting this form to at least two business days before your scheduled advising appointment along with:

  1. Syllabus
  2. Course Description (if not in the syllabus)
  3. Contact information for the instructor (if not in the syllabus)
  4. Details about assignments and exams (if not in the syllabus)
  5. A detailed course schedule (if not in the syllabus)

Courses taken as part of study abroad programs administered by the Center for Global and Intercultural Studies (CGIS) do not need to be reviewed. They are considered "in residence" University of Michigan courses. Information about overseas programs associated with the University that are approved for in-residence credit can also be found at

All transfer students are welcome to our majors and minors!

If you have studied an Asian language, then please consider our major and the Asian Languages and Cultures minor. Both the major and the minor require fourth term (2nd year) proficiency in an Asian language. If you have studied an Asian language elsewhere, please take a placement exam, especially if you wish to continue your language study at the University of Michigan or use those credits to meet the LSA language requirement. We do not recommend studying for the placement exam as it is designed to be an evaluation of your skills.

Language courses taken at the 300-level or above can be used towards the total credits required for the major (34 credits) or Asian Languages and Cultures minor (15 credits). Other majors at U-M such as International Studies require 3rd year proficiency and the credits used towards this can be double counted between majors. Please note that all courses used toward the major or minor must have a letter grade (excluding Winter 2020-Winter 2021).

The minimum in residence credits required for the major and the two minors are as follows:

If you have any questions, please contact

Evaluation Process