- Why Asian Studies?
- Using Your Degree
- Course Gallery
- Advising Appointments
- Asian Studies Major
- Honors Major in Asian Studies
- Asian Languages and Cultures Minor
- Asian Studies Minor
- Course Information and Policies
- Department Awards
- Study Abroad and Internships
- Student Organizations
- Transfer Credit
- Accelerated MA Program in Transcultural Studies
Asian Languages and Cultures Minor Requirements - pre-Fall 2020
Asian Languages and Cultures Minor FAQs
Academic Minor Program (15 credits)
Prerequisite Two years or fourth-term proficiency in an Asian language
- Language Requirement at least two ASIANLAN courses at the 300-level or above. Minors are encouraged to take language courses beyond third-year proficiency and also take courses to acquire a second Asian language.
- Culture Requirement At least one course at the 300-level or above on Asian culture that will familiarize the student with the language studied. The culture course should be directly related to the language studied, i.e. a student studying Japanese should elect a course focused on Japan.
Courses with non-ASIAN or ASIANLAN subject codes may be used to satisfy requirements for the Asian Languages and Cultures minor as exceptions, but approval from a department advisor is necessary. Please schedule an appointment with a department advisor if you would like to explore exceptions for your Asian Languages and Cultures minor.
Students must have earned a C- or better in a course for it to be used.
At least six of the credits must be elected at UM-Ann Arbor or through an overseas program associated with the university.