Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Advising Appointments

Have a quick advising question? Check out the FAQ below and, if it still is not answered, email us at



If you are more than 5 minutes late to your scheduled meeting, whether in-person or virtual, your advisor may log off/leave and you will be asked to reschedule.





If you are currently studying abroad and have questions about how your program and credits are being affected by COVID-19, please visit the CGIS website:

Fall 2022 advising begins on Tuesday, September 6 and ends on Friday, December 9.


Winter 2023 advising is expected to begin on Wednesday, January 11 and end on Friday, April 14. 


If an accommodation is needed (e.g. mobility, hearing, visual) for an advising appointment, email at least two business days in advance.

Advising FAQs

Investigating a Major/Minor

When should I declare the Asian Studies major?

You can declare the Asian Studies major at any time. You are encouraged to come in for an advising appointment as soon as you that this is your plan so that you and an advisor can begin working on a plan of study.

Can I declare more than one sub-major?

No. The way that the major is written, students can only declare one sub-major. Students are welcome to incorporate multiple languages and regions into their major through the elective requirements.

Can I count language credits towards the sub-major requirement?

Yes! Language credits can be counted towards the major for any requirement except for the 400-level coursework requirement.

Can I take a course towards my major/minor Pass/Fail?

No, except for if the course was taken specifically during Winter 2020, Sp/Su 2020, Fall 2020, or Winter 2021. Outside of these terms, courses taken towards the credit of a major or minor must be taken for a letter grade.

When should I declare the Asian Studies minor or Asian Languages and Cultures minor?

A minor can only be declared after you have met the prerequisites (none for the Asian Studies minor and 4th term proficiency in an Asian language for the Asian Languages and Cultures minor) and you have a major declared. We still encourage you to come in to begin speaking about your minor plan so you can incorporate it into your remaining time at U-M appropriately.

Can language courses be used as electives in the major and the minors?

For the Asian Studies major and the Asian Languages and Cultures minor language courses can be used as electives. For the Asian Studies minor no language courses may be used towards the requirements.

Is declaring a major or minor a reversible decision?

Yes, if you decide that a major or minor in this department is no longer a part of your plan, you can "undeclare" the program. Alternatively, you can also move from the major to one of the minors or one of the minors to the major.

Do I get a declaration gift?

Yes! After declaring the major or minor, stop by Suite 4111 in the 202 South Thayer Building for your declaration gift!

Course Selection/Registration

What courses are being offered next semester?

As soon as the LSA Course Guide goes public, so will our course gallery and filterable course list. These resources will aid you in figuring out which courses can meet your needs in the coming term.

What courses meet the requirements for my sub-major?

Our courses are listed by sub-major on this spreadsheet which is updated once a year. This can be a great guide when looking at what courses to take.

Why do I need to speak to a department advisor before registering?

Due to the flexible nature of our programs, speaking to an advisor each term can make sure that all courses you take can be approved towards your specific plan and will ensure an efficient journey through the department and keep you from taking any unnecessary courses.

Do I have to take ASIAN 381: Junior/Senior Research Seminar for Majors?

Yes. The department does not grant exceptions to this course. If you have concerns about your ability to take ASIAN 381 before you graduate, please speak to an advisor as early as possible.

What do I do if the course I want is full?

Enroll yourself on the waitlist. The department then uses "Batch Permissions" which automatically sends an override out to a member of the waitlist once a spot opens up. If you have concerns about making it into the class or not, be in contact with the course instructor.

Can courses from other departments be used to meet major or minor requirements?

For the Asian Studies major, one course (up to 4-credits) can be used towards the optional "Cognate requirement." Outside of this requirement, any course outside of the department needs to be approved by an ALC advisor.

Study Abroad/Transfer Credit

Can study abroad courses count towards the requirements for the major or a minor?

Yes, courses run through the Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) can be counted towards your program with no limits. There is a limit, however, to how many ccourses you may use from an external study abroad program. See the webpage for the plan you are interested in to see the exact limit.

Can transferred courses be used to satisfy major or minor requirements?

Yes, however students must take a certain number of courses/credits at the University of Michigan or at an overseas program associated with the University (usually through CGIS). For the major, the residency requirement is 5 courses; for the Asian Languages and Cultures minor, the residency requirement is 6 credits; and for the Asian Studies minor the residency requirement is 12 credits.

Our full transfer credit policy and procedure can be found here. Make sure to read this carefully before arriving for an appointment to discuss transfer credits.


When should I request a release? Why can't I wait until my last term?

Releases should be requested from a department advisor prior to registering for your final term at the very latest. This will ensure that you and your advisor are on the same page in terms of any remaining requirements that you need to complete. If you are graduating in Winter, make your appointment by October of the previous semester. If you are graduating in the Fall, make your appointment by February of the previous semester.

If you complete the major or minor but still have a while until graduation, you can still request that a release be submitted earlier than your second to last term.

I am not an LSA student, do I still need to request a release?

Yes, if you are declared in an LSA minor but are a student from another college (e.g. Ross, Engineering, etc.) you still need to submit a release for your LSA minor.


How can I pursue an Honors major in Asian Studies?

Prior to or during the first semester of your final year, meet with an ALC advisor about declaring an Honors sub-major. All students with a 3.5 departmental GPA and 3.4 general GPA are eligible. The only other requirement is completing an Honors thesis (and enrolling in ASIAN 495 to get credits for your thesis) prior to graduation. More Honors information can be found here.

Do I already need to be in the Honors college to pursue an Honors major?

No! When you declare an honors sub-major, a notification will be sent to the Honors college that you have decided to become an honors student. They will be in contact with you following this!