Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Transfer Credit

The Department of Middle East Studies does allow courses transferred from other institutions to be used to help meet prerequisite and course requirements for our major and minor. Be aware, however, that both the major and minor have a minimum number of credits that have to be completed "in residence" (refers to courses taken at UM or through an overseas program associated with the university that are approved for in-residence credit [information about such program can be found at]). The minimum in residence credits required for the major and minor are as follows:

  • Middle East Studies Major: a minimum of 14 credits have to be completed in residence.
  • Middle East Studies Minor: a minimum of 12 credits have to be completed in residence.

All courses for the department major or minor must be approved by a departmental advisor by submitting this transfer credit proposal form along with the course's syllabus to at least two business days prior to meeting with a departmental advisor. All courses used toward the major and minor have to have a letter grade, any Pass/Fail courses must be uncovered by the Office of the Registrar.

If you have any questions, please contact