Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Advising Appointments

Interested in Meeting with an Advisor for Middle East Studies?

Summer (May through mid-August): For advising questions, please contact the department directly at

During the regular academic year (Fall/Winter term) the department requires that students use the LSA Online Advising Calendar to schedule their appointments.


If you are more than 5 minutes late to your scheduled meeting, whether in-person or virtual, you will be marked as no-show and will lose your appointment slot.


Fall 2022 advising begins on Tuesday, September 6 and ends on Friday, December 9. 

If an accommodation is needed (e.g. mobility, hearing, visual) for an advising appointment, email at least two business days in advance.

Have a quick advising question? Check out the FAQs below, and if it's still not answered, email

Advising FAQs

Investigating a Major/Minor

When should I declare the Middle East Studies major?

You can declare the Middle East Studies major anytime after you complete MIDEAST 200, however, you are encouraged to come in for an advising appointment as soon as you know that this is your plan so that you and an advisor can begin working on a plan of study.

How do I determine what sub-major to declare?

There are 49 different combinations of sub-major based on what language and discipline you wish to pursue. The language is based on what language you are using to meet the language requirement of the major and the discipline is based on what field you wish to study for the disciplinary requirement. The courses used towards the disciplinary requirement do not have to be directly related to the region of the language you declared. For instance, if you are declared as an Arabic History major you could still use MIDEAST 246: History and Archaeology of Ancient Turkey towards the disciplinary requirement.

Can I declare more than one sub-major?

No. The way that the major is written, students can one only declare one sub-major. Students are required to incorporate other disciplines and encouraged to pursue additional language coursework as part of the elective requirements.

Can I count language credits towards the disciplinary or elective requirement?

No language courses may be used towards the disciplinary requirement. For the elective requirement, no more than one course may be a 300-level or above language course appropriate to the selected sub-major and no more than one elective may be a 200-level or above language course in a second Middle East Studies language.

Can I take a course towards my major/minor as Pass/Fail?

No, except for if the course was taken specifically during Winter 2020, Sp/Su 2020, Fall 2020, or Winter 2021. Outside of these terms, courses taken towards the credits of a major or minor must be taken for a letter grade.

When should I declare the Middle East Studies minor?

A minor can be declared after you have met the prerequisite (taking MIDEAST 200) and have declared a major. We still encourage you to come in to begin speaking about your minor plan so you can incorporate it into your remaining time at U-M appropriately.

Can language courses be used in the Middle East Studies minor?

Yes, up to two semesters of language courses can be used towards the additional coursework of the minor as long as the courses are at the 4th semester above of a modern language (i.e. Arabic, Armenian, Modern Hebrew, Persian, or Turkish) or at the 2nd semester or above of an ancient Middle East language (e.g. Aramaic, Classical Hebrew, Middle Egyptian, Coptic, Hittite, Akkadian, Sumerian, Syriac).

Is declaring a major or minor a reversible decision?

Yes, if you decide that a major or minor in this department is no longer a viable part of your plan, you can "undeclare" the program by emailing Alternatively, you can also move from the minor to the major or from the major to the minor.

Do I get a declaration gift?

Yes! After declaring the major or minor, stop by Suite 4111 in the 202 South Thayer Building for your declaration gift!

Course Selection/Registration

What courses are being offered next semester?

As soon as the LSA Course Guide goes public, so will our course gallery and filterable course list. These resources will aid you in figuring out which courses can meet your needs in the coming term.

What courses meet the requirements for my disciplinary submajor?

Our courses are listed by discipline on this spreadsheet which is updated once a year. This can be a great guide when looking at what courses to take.

Why do I need to speak to a department advisor before registering?

Due to the flexible nature of our programs, speaking to an advisor each term can make sure that all courses you take can be approved towards your specific plan and will ensure an efficient journey through the department and keep you from taking any unnecessary courses.

What do I do if the course I want is full?

Enroll yourself on the waitlist. The department then uses "Batch Permissions" which automatically sends an override out to a member of the waitlist once a spot opens up. If you have concerns about making it into the class or not, be in contact with the course instructor.

Can courses from other departments be use to meet major or minor requirements?

For the Middle East Studies major, one course from outside of the department may be used towards the disciplinary requirement and one course from outside of the department may be used towards the elective requirement. For the Middle East Studies minor, courses outside of the required three MIDEAST courses may be from outside of the department.


Study Abroad/Transfer Credit

Can study abroad courses count towards the requirements for the major or minor?

Yes, courses run through the Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) can be counted towards your program with no limits. There is a limit, however, to how many courses you may use from an external study abroad program. See the webpage for the plan you are interested in to see the exam limit.

Can transferred courses be used to satisfy a major or minor requirement?

Yes, however students must take a certain number of courses/credits at the University of Michigan or at an overseas program associated with the University (usually through CGIS). For the major, the residency requirement is 14 credits; for the minor, the residency requirement is 12 credits.

Our full transfer credit policy and procedure can be found here. Make sure to read this carefully before arriving for an advising appointment to discuss transfer credits.


When should I request a release? Why can't I wait until my last term?

Releases should be requested from a department advisor prior to registering for your final term at the very latest. This will ensure that you and your advisor are on the same page in terms of any remaining requirements that you need to complete. If you are graduating in Winter, make your appointment by October of the previous semester. If you are graduating in the Fall, make your appointment by February of the previous semester.

If you complete the major or minor but still have a while until graduation, you can still request that a release be submitted earlier than your second to last term.

I am not an LSA student, do I still need to request a release?

Yes, if you are declared in an LSA minor but are a student from another college (e.g. Ross, Engineering, etc.) you still need to submit a release for your LSA minor.


How can I pursuse an Honors major in Middle East Studies?

In the final term of your junior year, meet with an MES advisor about declaring an Honors sub-major. All students with a 3.5 departmental GPA and 3.4 general GPA  are eligible. Students must complete two terms of MIDEAST 495 with an Honors advisor to work on their Honors thesis. More Honors information can be found here.

Do I already have to be in the Honors college to pursue an Honors major?

No! When you declare an honors sub-major, a notification will be sent to the Honors college that you have decided to become an honors student. They will then be in contact with you about what is needed!