NOTE: Staff will be out of the office in celebration of Thanksgiving from Wednesday, November 24 at 2:00PM to Monday, November 29 at 8:00AM. The Graduate Services inbox (email@example.com) will not be monitored during that time so make sure to submit questions regarding your application by then.
Master of Arts - Arabic Studies
Subplans: Arabic for Professional Purposes (APP) or Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language (TAFL). For more information on these subplans, see the Arabic Studies Program Requirements page.
Admission: The annual application deadline for the Masters of Arts in Arabic Studies program is December 1. All applicants must submit a completed application through the Rackham School of Graduate Studies, which includes:
- the submission of official transcripts of all previous academic records (NOTE: for Fall 2021 admission, official transcripts are not required at the time of application - applicants are only required to submit the electronic version of their transcripts).
- three letters of recommendation (preferably from faculty familiar with their most recent work),
- a statement of purpose,
- a personal statement,
- and a 10-30 page, double-spaced, writing sample.
- GRE scores are not required.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must also submit proof of English proficiency that meets Rackham Graduate School's requirements for admission. For more information on Rackham Graduate School's English proficiency requirements, please visit: http://www.rackham.umich.edu/admissions/tests.
For the TAFL subplan, applicants whose native language is not Arabic must have a minimum score of Advanced Mid on the UM Arabic proficiency test (administered by the department after the completed application has been submitted and the student is being considered for admission).