Welcome to MCSP!
We are so pleased you’ve decided to explore the Michigan Community Scholars Program!
Our MCSP community is guided by its four pillars: deep learning; engaged community; civic engagement and community service learning; and diverse democracy, intercultural understanding, and dialogue.
- MCSP provides a wide variety of opportunities for you to serve local people and organizations--and to reflect upon your experiences. Our programs will equip you to enter communities in just and respectful ways--and to serve and learn from the community while you develop your capacity for civic engagement.
- As an MCSP student, you’ll be introduced to the array of courses taught by world-class Michigan faculty in small seminar-style settings that promote innovative teaching strategies, high student engagement, and personally transformative learning.
- Both in and beyond the classroom, you’ll participate in a scholarly community that values diverse voices and close connections. Students in MCSP tell us that the close bonds built among diverse groups of students have been the most meaningful aspect of their college experience.
- MCSP strives to model a diverse and dialogic democratic society and asks you to consider your responsibility to address issues of inequality and intolerance in our society. Learning how to manage conflict and disagreement constructively strengthens communities, equips you to work in diverse environments, and builds our shared capacity for peacemaking and intercultural understanding.
College is a time of growth, exploration and independence. But growth, exploration, and independence require a supportive community to give us both the comfort and the challenge to move forward productively and successfully. It takes people who care about us to both help us remember the values and ideals we grew up with and to broaden our vision to see new perspectives and possibilities. The Michigan Community Scholars Program invites you to search for meaning and purpose in your personal life and your academic and professional pursuits while experiencing the individual support and challenge possible only in a small, caring community.
We invite you to explore our website, to attend one of our virtual information sessions, or to email us with questions or comments.
We look forward to hearing from you!
- Christine Modey, Director and Joshua Thurman, Associate Director