Snapshot of Accomplishments
Retention of first-year students, and underrepresented students of color
Graduation rate for MCSP student leaders
Hours of community service across 10 years
Dollar value of community service projects across 10 years
Student Leadership, by the Numbers
What MCSP has pioneered...
- Civic Engagement, Community Service and Democratic Practice – commitment to civic engagement in all professional careers long before national embrace of service
- Intergroup Dialogue and Engagement – commitment to modeling a “diverse democracy” and intentionally “interrupting the cycle of racial segregation” in both the classroom and the residence hall through this living learning program
- Academic Excellence, Retention, and Diversity – unprecedented academic success of all first-year students as demonstrated in student retention data
Selected Funding Endorsements and Awards
- Need-Based Scholarship Endowments – The MCSP Faculty and Staff Community Service Need-Based Scholarship Endowment Funds and The Milstein Family Fund
- Provost’s Whitaker Grant – “Diverse, Interdisciplinary Learning Experiences for Students through the Integration of Classroom Study and Community Engagement.” 2009-10
- Diversity Council Grant – “Building and Celebrating a Multicultural Learning Community,” 2009-10
- Ginsberg Outstanding University Program Awards – “University-Community Social Justice Film and Discussion Series.” 2008-09; Outstanding Campus Impact Awards; Outstanding New Student Leaders, etc.
- U-M Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award - MCSP administrative team, 2010
- Ford Foundation Grant on Difficult Dialogues – faculty retreats and seminars on religious pluralism and academic freedom resulting in course revision and writing initiatives, 2006-07
- U.S. News and World Report: Annual “Best Colleges” ranking for U-M Learning Communities and Service-Learning Programs
- Bringing Theory to Practice Initiative – MCSP is showcased by Association of American Colleges and Universities as model for a healthy environment for students in terms of depression, stress, binge drinking
- National Recognition: CNN Broadcast – MCSP is showcased on Anderson Cooper 360, PEW National Learning Communities Fellows, Newsweek Magazine, Detroit Free Press, Ann Arbor News, etc.
- Student Leadership Awards – MLK Spirit Awards, Ginsberg Awards, IGR Gurin Awards, Truman finalist, Black Celebratory keynote, Solar Car Team, Smart Award, Wallenberg Fellow, Engineering Commencement speaker, etc.
- Annual MLK Day “Circle of Unity” – 250 – 350 people gather on the diag
- Book Publication: Engaging the Whole of Service-Learning, Diversity and LearningCommunities – by MCSP faculty, national leaders, students and community partners, 2004
- AmeriCorps – Michigan students have worked at Focus: HOPE, Warren-Conner Development Coalition, ROC-Michigan