Interested in bringing your K-12 class to the museum to explore on your own? You are certainly welcome to do so!
- Self-guided groups are limited to 30 students. We require at least 1 chaperone per 10 students to accompany the group. We encourage more chaperones to attend!
- Self-guided groups must contact the Education Department to reserve a time for your visit. The museum is open for tours Tuesday-Friday 9:00-4:00pm. We recommend reserving as far in advance as possible. If you arrive without making a reservation ahead of time, we may not be able to accommodate your group.
- Self-guided visits are free! Donations are always welcome and go to support the museum’s Education Department.
- All students, teachers, and chaperones are required to follow the Gallery Rules. We recommend that the following items are left on the bus or at school as they are not permitted in the galleries (water bottles and other drinks, food, gum, backpacks, pens and markers).
- We reserve the right to ask any group to leave if the Gallery Rules are not being followed.
- Want to do your own worksheet in the gallery? Please us know and we can provide clipboards and pencils. We ask students to use clipboards so they avoid writing against walls, cases, the floor, or artifacts.
Want some ideas for fun things to do or see in the museum? You are welcome to try:
- Sketching in the Galleries (we can provide stools for sketching upon request); please review Drawing in the Galleries Guidelines
- Challenge yourself to a Greek Mythology Scavenger Hunt
- Interrogate an Artifact
- Translate some Latin inscriptions
What to Expect When You Arrive
Before you bring your group to the museum, please review the Gallery Rules with students, chaperones, and other teachers. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Education Department prior to your visit. Please enter the museum at the Maynard Street entrance.
Parking is available:
- In the Maynard Parking Structure
- In metered parking along State Street and Maynard Street
- Buses can drop the students off at the Maynard Entrance and then park by the UM stadium (must be arranged in advance).
More details about what to expect when you arrive can be found in your tour confirmation email!