The application deadline for Fall 2018 admission is 11:59pm Thursday, January 4th, 2018.
Please note the U-M Astronomy office is closed December 23rd - January 1st.
What is required for admission to the Michigan Astronomy graduate program?
- A bachelor's degree with a major in physics, astronomy, or a related field.
- GRE General test is required. GRE Physics test scores are not required, and are not considered.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Statement of Purpose, and a Personal Statement.
- Official transcripts are required.
- Students from non-English speaking countries are required to demonstrate proficiency in English (e.g. TOEFL exam). Please see Rackham’s application instructions for non-native English speakers.
More information is available on the Astronomy and Astrophysics section of the Rackham Graduate School website.
What support is provided to PhD students?
Graduate students in Astronomy receive a monthly stipend, tuition waiver, plus health and dental coverage. The current stipend amount for the 2016/17 academic year is $2,467.13 per month.
We also support student applications for prestigious national fellowships such as NSF and NASA.
More detailed information is available at:
What are the application fees?
- United States citizens and those with permanent resident visa status, $75
- Non-U.S. citizens, $90
This fee is non-refundable and subject to change.
If the application fee presents an extreme financial hardship, U.S. citizens may apply to Rackham for a fee waiver on the Rackham website. Foreign applicants may contact the department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How many official copies of my transcript do you need, and where do I send them?
Photocopies are not accepted. Click here for guidance.
Where do my recommenders send their letters of recommendation?
There are several options for submitting your letters of recommendation. Click here for guidance.
What are the GRE and TOEFL codes?
- Institution Code: 1839, University of Michigan Ann Arbor
- GRE Department Code: 0801, Astronomy
- TOEFL Department Code: 0061, Astronomy
I won't have my GRE scores until after the aplication deadline. What do I do?
Simply complete the online application by the deadline, and we will add your scores to your file when they arrive.