U-M has made a strong commitment to the future of astronomy by investing in preferred access to major sky surveys like the Dark Energy Survey and the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope; individual faculty members also work with Pan-STARRS. Through their involvement in building the surveys, faculty have unique insight in how to make best use of the data.
- The new Flux high-performance computing facility
- Direct connection to the NSF's Teragrid/XSEDE open scientific-discovery infrastructure with petaflop computing capabilities
- Campus-wide Value Storage with multi-terabyte data volumes
- Internal bandwidth within the Flux environment up to 25 Gbps (25x faster than Ethernet)
- External connectivity to the National LambdaRail backbone at 10 Gbps