Our program provides assistance to all admitted students for the full five years of their study. We offer students a combination of fellowships, teaching assistantships, and research assistantships that include tuition remission, a stipend, and eligibility to participate in the University's health benefits program.
- Tuition for pre-candidates in the 2021-2022 academic year is $12,451/term for Michigan residents, and $25,068/term for non-Michigan residents.
- Tuition for candidates in the 2021-2022 academic year is $6,657/term for both Michigan and non-Michigan residents.
- The stipend rate in the 2021-2022 academic year for graduate student instructors (teaching assistants) at a 50% appointment level is $11,598.00/term.
- Health benefits for most students are covered by his/her/their funding package and range in cost from $1,172/term (2021 rates). The cost will go up in 2022 to $1,240/term.
- Dental plans are also covered for most students by his/her/their fundign package and starts at $23.10 per month (2021 rates).
Fellowship grants are awarded on the basis of academic achievement and the admission committee's expectations of student accomplishments. The department also offers Rackham Merit Fellowships to students from culturally, geographically or educationally underrepresented groups in our discipline or at the University. For more on the Rackham Merit Fellowship (RMF) for newly admitted graduate students, please visit the RMF website.
The department also has funds to provide students with summer support. This support comes in several forms including: collaborative research fellowships, support for summer research methods coursework, teaching assistantships, and research assistant positions.
Applicants who are also interested in determining their eligibility for Federal Financial Aid should refer to the Office of Financial Aid for instructions and contact information.