Skip to Content


If you’re new to the RC, or U of M in general, the information can be something of an overload. Read through some of our frequently asked questions and answers for help

  1. What is the mission of the RC? The distinctive educational mission of the Residential College (RC) is to enable students to develop their intellectual interests and creative talents in an environment in which they can find their own voice and relate learning with doing. The RC faculty and staff challenge students to take the initiative in shaping their own education, to participate actively in classes and in extra-curricular programs, to think critically about what they are learning and reflect on what they are doing, and to engage with the University community as well as the outside world.
  2. How is the RC a part of U of M? The RC is an undergraduate program within the University’s College of Literature, Science, and the Arts: therefore, all RC students must be LSA students. This means they are eligible, like all LS&A students, to take part in the Honors Program as well.
  3. Does the RC have grades? Yes, with a few exceptions. Grades were instituted in the RC in 2001, making the class of 2005 the last eligible to graduate under the former system of exclusively written evaluations. The only RC courses that aren’t graded are the Intensive I & II foreign language classes. RC courses, however, like LSA courses, may be elected Pass/Fail if they are not concentration courses.
  4. What are the requirements for the RC? Find the RC requirements here
  5. Who is eligible to apply to the RC? All students applying to LSA may indicate their interest in the RC program on their LSA undergraduate application
  6. Can I do both RC and Honors? Absolutely. Many RC students have been invited to join the Honors college at U of M, and we encourage you to take advantage of that opportunity; however RC students may not elect the option of Honors housing. The RC will work with you to find a schedule that accommodates both programs.
  7. Can I participate in any other Michigan Learning Communities if I am in the RC? Yes, but you can only participate in those that do not have a live-in requirement – UROP, CSP, Mentorship and Honors (see previous question.)
  8. Is there a tuition difference for the RC? RC students pay the same as other LS&A students.
  9. What is a First Year Seminar? RC First Year Seminars fulfill the first-year composition requirement for the university and are designed to be an introduction to seminar-style courses—students work closely with a faculty member and a small group of peers on a specific topic. Past topics have included a study of Nietzsche, philosophy, the role of disease in literature, theater production, or Indonesian culture. Each student is guided by their instructor to improve their writing skills and strengthen independent analysis.
  10. What is the foreign language requirement? Visit the Languages and Proficiency FAQ forinformation about the RC’s foreign language requirement.
  11. What is a living/learning community? A living/learning community is where fellow students live together in a residence hall and share some similar interests and academic goals and also share a residence space.  The RC takes the concept even further bu grounding the RC community in an environment that promotes connection and opportunity -- RC professors' offices, Academic Advising, studio art spaces and classrooms are all on site in East Quad -- the same residence hall where RC students live the first two years on campus. 
  12. How many RC courses does the average student take? While this varies greatly depending on the selected concentration, RC students take an average of one-third to one-quarter of their entire course load with the RC.
  13. What is the average class size in the RC? The average class size for the RC is 15 students. This differs from the average LSA class, which tends to be much larger and is often taught in a lecture format. RC courses, due to their size, encourage seminar-style participation and extensive writing assignments.
  14. Do RC students have a lot of contact with their professors? With small classes, an emphasis on writing and discussion, and professors’ offices in East Quad, it is not unusual for RC students to develop a strong rapport with their professors. It is also not uncommon for students and professors to address each other by first name.
  15. What facilities does the RC have on-site? The RC, in East Quad, can offer its students: an intimate 155-seat theater, a ceramics studio, drawing studio, darkrooms for photography, a small art gallery, the Bensinger and a Community Learning Center. East Quad also supports normal residence hall amenities: laundry, two student dining halls, a snack bar, a computer lab and study lounges.
  16. If I’m in the RC, can I still elect an LSA concentration? Yes. In fact, the majority of RC students have an LSA concentration.
  17. Is it possible to transfer into/out of the RC? Yes, like other LSA programs, students do have the freedom to change their minds, as there are many options at a large university. In order to transfer into or out of the RC, you’ll need to speak to one of our academic advisors.
    Non U-M Students: We accept transfer students with 40 or less transfer credits.
  18. Do non-RC students live in East Quad? RC students make up about half of East Quad’s population; the rest are from other programs and schools within the U-M.
  19. Is it possible to be in the RC without living in East Quad? All entering students must live in East Quad as part of the residency requirement. East Quad is a desirable residence hall for many U of M students, given its proximity to central campus and the comfortable atmosphere.
  20. Where is East Quad, anyway? East Quad is located on the edge of central campus and is within a ten-minute walk of most of central campus. More information about East Quad.
  21. I’m interested in a fraternity/sorority/student group… RC students have been not only members, but campus leaders in student groups, student publications, fraternities & sororities, community service organizations, and performance groups. Note: Students who participate in a fraternity or sorority must still fulfill the RC’s two-year live-in requirement.