Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Transfer Credit

Students at the University of Michigan have the ability to take and transfer courses from other institutions to UM. This can provide a valuable experience and allow students the privilege of taking courses over summer terms or for courses which may not be offered at UM. These guidelines are also to be used for out-of-residence study abroad credit.

Psychology Department Residency Requirement

Credit can transfer in one of two ways:

  • As a specific course (e.g., Psych 270, Stats 250) - Do not need approval, or
  • As Department Credit - Needs Approval (see below for instructions)

Steps for All Credit

How to Find & Transfer Courses

  1. Check the LSA Transfer Credit website: 
    • Select Transfer Credit Equivalencies Guide
    • Choose either "Search For U.S. Transfers" or "Search for Study Abroad"
    • Choose your host institution by highlighting the state and institution.
    • Enter the subject (PSYCH, STATS, etc) in the UM Dept/Subject category.
  2. Determine how the desired courses will transfer.
    • If they transfer as a specific course, no approval is needed.
    • If they transfer as Departmental Credit, you will need approval from the department to use the course to meet a specific requirement.
    • If the course is not listed (or if the institution is not listed), this means no other UM student has transferred the course. In this case, you will need to get approval from the UM Admissions/Credit Evaluations Office by filling out a form and submitting it online (Transfer Information & Residence Policy>Transfer Credit Equivalency Request Form)
  3. After completing the course, have the institution electronically send the official transcript to the UM Office of Undergraduate Admissions ( Admissions: Method to Submit Transcripts (further info)
  4. The Credit Evaluations Office will post your credit to your UM transcript within 6 weeks of receiving the transcript.

*If transferring credits within the University of Michigan system (UM-Dearborn or UM-Flint), your grades and honor points will also transfer.

LSA Regulations


  • Up to 60 credits can be transferred.
  • 30 of your last 60 credits must be at UM-Ann Arbor.
  • You must earn a C or better for courses to transfer (with the exception of UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint courses—all grades transfer from those two institutions).

    Approval to Count "Dept" Courses Towards Your Major

    For a Statistics course that transferred as Stats, Math, or Psych "Dept" credit


    1. Before taking the course, obtain a syllabus for the class and email it to
    2. An advisor will evaluate the course to determine if it will count towards the major. *If the course does not cover t-tests, analysis of variance (ANOVA), and/or SPSS, you will need to complete the online Statistics Tutorial in addition to the transfer course (must go through all lessons and complete the Statistics Tutorial Completion Form) in order for the course to be approved. 
    3. Upon successful completion of the course, tutorial, and prerequisite courses for the major, you should make an appointment with a Psychology Advisor to declare your major and then the exception will officially be entered.

    For other courses that transfer as Psych "Dept" credit

    1. Before taking the course, obtain a syllabus for the class and email it to
    2. An advisor will preliminarily evaluate the course for you to determine if it can count (and how it could count) toward your major.
    3. Upon successful completion of the course, make an appointment with your advisor to complete the exception process (after the credit is posted to your UM transcript).

    *Courses that transfer as equivalent do not need approval from a Psychology advisor.
    *Courses must transfer first to the College