Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Transfer Credit

Frequently Asked Questions about Transfer Credits

May I take prerequisite or cognate courses (Chemistry, Math, etc.) from a community college and transfer the courses back to U-M?
Yes, LSA students may take a course at a community college and transfer the credit back to UM.  See your LSA General Advisor for questions about LSA College policies.

I took a course at another school and transferred the credits back to U-M. However, on my transcript it says "Departmental" credit rather than indicating a specific course title. For example, I took an Introductory Biology course I think is equivalent to BIO 171, but on my transcript it reads "BIO 101X Departmental." Why?
Students must always follow up with the appropriate department (e.g., Psychology will handle transfer requests for PSYCH courses).

For BIOLOGY and MCDB courses, transferring  to U-M is a two-step process. The first step is transferring the credits to U-M. The second step is determining whether or not the course is a direct course equivalent to a course offered at U-M. To do this you must supply a detailed syllabus to the Program in Biology for review. Review the Program in Biology transfer credit information page for details on how to do this!

How do I know if a non-major course at another school is a direct course equivalent at U-M?
Visit the transfer credit equivalency webpage through LSA. This website provides a list of schools with a list of their classes that are equivalent to classes at U-M.

If the school or class you are looking for is not listed on the LSA website, you must contact the department that offers the class to determine equivalency (follow their procedures).

Plan ahead: If you are considering taking a class from another institution (going abroad or taking a summer course elsewhere) and it is not listed on the LSA transfer website, go through the approval process (see above information) before you take the course!

May I take a major course at another school?
The Undergraduate Program in Neuroscience prefers that you take all major courses on the Ann Arbor campus.