Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Professional Development & Post-Decision

Professional Development Course

The Professional Development Course is a two session course course held on Saturdays before students go to Washington.  It's an opportunity for students to meet each other and collaborate on internship searches, networking, resume and cover letter building, and more!   

Students register for the Professional Development Course as part of their D.C. semester (even though the class is run the semester prior to their arrival).  They don't receive credit for the Professional Development Course until they return from D.C.

Students sign a rooming contract from TurnKey which is a standard agreement that covers their stay at Meridian Place.  This agreement states the current rates and dates for the term, as well as the usual provisions in a lease (i.e. damages, etc.) UM students agree to authorize the room charge to be added to their UM tuition bill.  


Acceptance Form and Withdrawal Fee

The Acceptance Form confirms that the student is accepting the offer to participate in the MIW program for a specific term and secures their place in a specific cohort.  The form also serves as agreement to a withdrawal fee of $300 should the student decide not to participate after accepting admission to the program.  

Participation Agreement

The Participation Agreement is signed by the student upon admission to MIW.  The primary purpose of the agreement is to inform the student that s/he must observe codes of appropriate conduct for the University of Michigan and that they accept financial responsibility for the program and housing during the Washington semester.  

Basic and Supplemental Health Information

  Once admitted, students will be asked to provide Basic Health Information: 

  • The student's health insurance policy number
  • Two Emergency contacts

MIW students are required to have health coverage while they are in Washington.

Health Insurance FAQ

I don’t have health insurance, and neither do my parents. Individual policies are expensive, and many have a one-year minimum. How should I handle this? 

We suggest enrolling in the Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan (DSHIP). Blue Cross and Aetna also offer short-term policies. 

Even if you have health insurance, I heard that you must pay out-of-pocket to visit a doctor in D.C. and then submit a claim with the insurance company because D.C. is out of network for most Michigan or other insurance providers. 

Not necessarily. If the student enrolls in DSHIP (see above), it provides coverage throughout the United States. Other insurance plans may not have the same benefit, and you will be charged out-of-network costs. Please check your individual plan for specifics. UM’s Office of the Provost maintains a list of emergency funding sources available to students in emergencies where you need funds to cover medical, dental, or mental health events. In addition, the Office of Financial Aid has emergency loans available. These are short-term (90 days) loans up to $500 and are interest-free. For more information, please visit the OFA Emergency Loan page. If you apply for a short-term loan, it is essential to remember that if it is not paid back within 90 days, you will not be able to register for your next semester of classes. It could also reduce your financial aid package. You can apply for these loans on Wolverine Access. Student Center > Financial Aid > Aid Year > Loans > Short-Term University Loans.