Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}


Faculty advisors are available to all students, whether you are a U-M History major or minor, interested in becoming one, or are just taking advantage of the many courses we offer. History advisors can help with:

You may also contact us at

Schedule Walk-In and Online Advising

On MyAdvising, you can complete all of your online advising tasks in one convenient place, making it easy to schedule appointments, submit petitions, and check on your degree progress. 

Study Abroad and Transfer Courses

The History Department encourages students to study abroad and many students take courses over the summer at US institutions near their homes. Before electing courses off-campus, it is important to discuss the classes and programs with a faculty advisor, the ADUGS or the DUGS. Please note, this will give you a good idea how the course will fit into your program, but final approval is possible only after the course is completed and the credits transferred.

When a transfer or study abroad course appears on your UM transcript, it does not necessarily mean that the History Department will accept it for either general major/minor credit or as a direct replacement for any particular course we offer. Different countries and institutions have different academic norms and customs, and what constitutes an upper-level course at one institution might not equal an upper-level course here.  Faculty advisors determine whether a particular course counts for History credit as well as what level it meets and whether it fulfills distribution requirements.

Faculty advisors approve transfer and study abroad credits for the History major and minor in formal appointments made through the online advising system.  Before the meeting, you should fill out the Transfer/Study Abroad Credit Approval Form (PDF) and bring the completed form as well as evidence of your coursework, syllabi and papers to your advising appointment. 

Please note that the department does not give credit for online courses. Credit from community colleges often does not transfer at levels higher than the 100 level and thus is usually not eligible to fulfill requirements for the major or minor.

Grade Grievances

The History Department policy for grade appeals and other course-related grievances follows LSA guidelines. Instructors are expected to set fair and consistent grading procedures for their courses. If the instructor uses the grading rubric consistently for each student, then the Department assumes that the final grade is correct.  However, students can inquire about a grade and subsequently initiate a grade grievance (PDF) if they think that a grade was unfairly given. 

Academic Integrity Policies

The Department of History honors the principles of academic integrity and expects faculty andstudents alike to uphold the core values of honesty, fairness and respect.