- German Studies
- Scandinavian Studies
- Dutch and Flemish Studies
- Yiddish Studies
- Language Clubs
- Scholarships, Awards, and Prizes
- Internships & Study Abroad
- Max Kade German Residence
- How to Apply & Requirements
- Max Kade Activities
- George Valenta Scholarship
- Max Kade House History
- Placement Exams
- Careers in Germanic Studies
- Germanic Faculty to Lunch Program
- Transfer Credit
- Accelerated MA Program in Transcultural Studies
- Fall 2023 Course Offerings
- Spring and Summer Language Courses
Requirements of Max Kade Participants
- Complete the equivalent of German 102/103 upon entry into the Max Kade House
- Enrollment in German 310 (W; 5-6 pm) in the fall term and German 312 (W; 5-6 pm) in the winter term
- Attend and participate actively in at least three Max Kade activities each month (Kaffeestunde, Deutschtisch, Filmabend, etc.)
- Demonstrate willingness to communicate in German on a daily basis within the Max Kade community.
- Residents are not required to be fluent in German, or be enrolled in additional German courses, but interest in the German language and culture is a prerequisite.
- Participate actively in the program's running; help organize house events and activities such as game nights, movie nights, and outings.
- Take part in the Adventure Leadership program at the start of the academic year on Saturday, August 26, 4-7 pm.
- Adhere to conditions outlined in the current Community Living at Michigan Standards.
Apply for AY 2023-24
The Max Kade Haus application for the 2023-24 Academic Year (Sept-Apr) is now open. New students should apply here. Returning residents should complete this application.
A separate application to University Housing is required to secure a room in North Quad. Please visit the Housing website for more information. Click here for information on current Housing Rates.
**Admission to the Max Kade House MLC is not guaranteed and at the discretion of the Department of Germanic Languages & Literatures Admission Committee.
Transfer students are welcome in Max Kade and may apply via the application form. Transfer students will receive instructions on how to access their online Housing application in the Housing portal when the enrollment deposit has been paid or has been officially waived by the Admissions Office.
Students interested in Max Kade are welcome to attend a Max Kade event to get an idea of what the community is like (e.g., Kaffeestunde, Deutschtisch). Please check the events calendar for the current schedule.