This Institute for the Humanities is pleased to announce the new Public Humanities Internship Program for undergraduate juniors and seniors. The Public Humanities Internship is a paid internship program that provides 8 selected undergraduate students at the University of Michigan with the opportunity to participate in the life of the Institute for the Humanities through a unique combination of program development, event marketing, and writing about humanities topics.
This internship is an opportunity for undergraduate students to gain an enhanced understanding of and involvement with the humanities and to acquire practical, real-life experience with event planning and marketing, communication and publicity through social media, and leadership and teamwork skills development.
- Approx 5 hours per week in-person at the Institute for the Humanities; programming weeks may require additional time.
- Meet bi-weekly with intern cohort and intern coordinator
- Write 2 blog posts per semester.
- Plan, promote and execute a fall 2021 public humanities event
- Plan, promote and execute Octavia Butler Week, March 2022
- Plan, promote and execute “Poetry Blast,” a celebration of National Poetry Month, April 2022
- Additional projects/tasks as assigned
- Undergraduate student with junior or senior status
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- We welcome majors from across the disciplines (including non-humanities)
- Submit 1 confidential letter of recommendation (must be from a faculty member/prior instructor, a previous employer, or someone who can attest to your qualification and ability for this position; family members are explicitly excluded)
To apply, submit the following by Friday, September 24 through the Student Employment application portal
- A cover letter indicating why you are interested in this internship and what you believe you can bring to this experience in terms of programming ideas, talents or knowledge.
- In a short essay of 300 words or less, tell us about an instance where something humanities-related impacted you or someone you know.
- Have your recommender submit their confidential letter of recommendation via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 24, 2021. Please instruct your recommender to include your name in the letter.
- Applicants will be notified of results by October 8, 2021.