Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer Credit Guidelines for Classical Studies Students

The Classical Studies Department allows U-M students to take and transfer courses from other institutions for prerequisite and major credit. In addition to U-M students, prospective U-M students are welcome to have courses evaluated for prerequisite and major credit. Transfer courses may be applied toward your major, but at least 15 credits of your total 27 credits for the major must normally be completed in residence. 1-2 transfer courses may be used to complete a minor.

Approval for credit of courses transferred from another institution must go through the Classical Department Transfer Credit Evaluation Process, as specified below. Current U-M students should consult with their Major Advisor in Classical Studies. Prospective U-M students should consult with the Transfer Student Advisor in Classical Studies, Netta Berlin (

Before applying to the Classical Studies Department for transfer credit, students should read and follow the instructions given at the websites highlighted below.

Elementary Language Courses

Students who wish to continue their study of ancient Greek, Latin, or Modern Greek must take a placement exam in the language.

Transfer credit for elementary language study prior to matriculation at U-M is accepted on a retroactive basis. Latin, Ancient Greek, and Modern Greek students may earn up to 8 retroactive credits for elementary language study if (a) their initial placement is 232 or higher, (b) they take a course at U-M at or above their placement level, and (c) they earn at least a B or higher in that course. The guidelines and application process for these credits can be found here:

Courses Taken at Other Institutions in the U.S. or Abroad

A course transfers in one of two ways: as equivalent to a specific course or as departmental credit.

Students should begin by familiarizing themselves with the transfer process as detailed by the LSA Newnan Advising Center:

In addition, students should check the Transfer Equivalencies website to see if the course is already on the records:

If the course is designated as equivalent to a specific course, no approval is needed.

If the course transfers as departmental credit (designated as “DEPT” at the Transfer Equivalencies website) or if the course is not listed, students should consult with a Classical Studies Department Advisor to determine if the course can be used to meet the prerequisites or the requirements of the major or a minor.

Whenever possible, students should consult with a Classical Studies Advisor in advance of taking a course elsewhere to determine whether the course will count towards the major or minor (an exception would be courses taken in advance of matriculation at U-M).

For courses not approved in advance, students should bring their Advisor the syllabus and, if possible, other course materials that they have in order to determine whether the course can count for the major or the minor.

Courses taken through the College Year in Athens Program and the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies in Rome transfer easily. In addition, summer work on an archaeological dig (6-week min.) can count towards the Classical Archaeology major.