Biophysics is a far-reaching discipline, and students in the Biophysics program come from a wide range of academic backgrounds, including: physics, chemistry, biochemistry, engineering and biology.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: December 6
The application fee is waived for U.S. citizens and permanent residents only. We do not require GRE general test scores!
Applications are submitted online through the Rackham Graduate School. Applications must include the following:
- Completed online application form
- Statement of Purpose - A concise description of your background and career goals, including a detailed description of prior research experience
- Personal Statement - Personal details appropriate for evaluation of the application
- Recommendations - Three (3) letters of recommendation from professors or others qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate-level research
- Transcripts - from all post-secondary institutions attended
- Unofficial transcripts uploaded with online application - click here for more information
- TOEFL - Scores must be supplied by international applicants from non-English speaking undergraduate programs; institutional code 1839; program code 36; more information about the TOEFL exam
Application Evaluations and Interviews:
All aspects of the application are reviewed carefully by the Biophysics Admissions Committee.
Students who receive an offer of admission are invited to attend the Recruiting Weekend in late February.
General questions about your application:
Rackham Graduate School
For Biophysics-specific questions:
Biophysics Graduate Program Coordinator
Program in Biomedical Sciences (PIBS)
Students with a particular interest in the biomedical sciences might wish to also apply to Biophysics through the Program in Biomedical Sciences (PIBS) at the University of Michigan Medical School. PIBS is an interdisciplinary gateway program that coordinates admissions and first-year graduate studies for 14 doctoral programs, including Biophysics.
The application deadline is December 1. More information about PIBS.