The major consists of 12 courses in addition to the prerequisites. At least 16 credits must be taken in residence. No course will count toward the major unless the student receives a grade of C- or better.
Courses must be distributed as follows:
1. PPE Core Courses (3 Courses*)
- Economics—ECON 401: Intermediate Microeconomics
- Gateway—PPE 300: Introduction to Political Economy
- Capstone—PPE 400: Senior Seminar in Political Economy
- Only required for non-Honors students
2. Core Distribution Requirements (6 Courses)
Each PPE student is required to take two courses each in normative theory, political economy, and formal reasoning.
3. Theme Requirement (3 Courses*)
(3) additional courses in a single, student-designed theme in political economy (for honors students: (2) additional courses, plus the Honors thesis sequence) . At least two of these courses must be at the 400-level, and two must come from distinct academic disciplines.
Courses listed under the core requirements may be used to satisfy the theme requirement as long as they are not also being used to satisfy the core requirement.