- What can I do with a Sociology degree?
- Sociology Major
- Law, Justice, and Social Change
- LJSC Subplan
- LJSC Minor
- Sociology of Health & Medicine
- Curriculum and Courses
- Transfer Credit & Study Abroad
- Project Community
- Academic Policies and Processes
- Research Opportunities
- Honors Program
- Financial Aid Resources
- Student Organizations
- Writing Awards
- Major of the Month
LJSC Minor Requirements
Before declaring the minor in Law, Justice, and Social Change, students must complete a pre-requisite course with a C- or better. First and second year students should enroll in either SOC 100: Intro to Soc, SOC 102: Intro to Soc: Special Topics, or SOC 195: Honors Intro to Soc. Third and fourth year students should enroll in either SOC 300: Principles and Problems of Sociology or SOC 302: Health & Society- Intro to Soc. The credits from the prerequisite course cannot be included in the 15 credits required to complete the minor.
- A student must complete at least 15 credit hours with a C- or better from the following list of approved courses.
- A minimum of nine credits must be elected in the LJSC minor at the 300-level or above (excluding prerequisite). **^ This 300-level requirement does not apply to students who declared the minor Fall 2016 and prior
Approved LJSC Minor Courses:
- SOC 225: Project Community- Criminal Justice Section
- SOC 270: Gender and the Law
- SOC 304: American Immigration
- SOC 335: Urban Inequality in America
- SOC 350: Human Rights and the United Nations
- SOC 354: Law and Society
- SOC 368: Criminology
- SOC 450: Human Rights in a Globalizing World
- SOC 461: Social Movements
- SOC 465: Sociological Analysis of Deviance
- SOC 468: Crime & Justice: Inside Out Prison Exchange
- SOC 476: Sociology of Bioethics
- SOC 488: Organizing Internship
- SOC 489: Organizing: People, Power, and Social Change
- appropriate topics in SOC 295, 394 (SURO), 395 (Independent Study), 396 (Internship), 495
A maximum of 6 credits in the minor plan may come from Experiential Learning or Independent Study style courses. This includes but is not limited to SOC 225, 394, 395, 396, and 488. (continued on next page)
I have questions about the LJSC minor
If you have questions about your progress with LJSC Minor requirements, schedule an advising appointment
If you have questions about your LSA or distribution requirements, your should contact your general advisor (LSA, RC, CSP, Honors).
If you have questions about your overall degree progress, you can use the My LSA Audit Checklist tool to get a snapshot of your degree progress, broken down into requirement groups.