- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- In Memoriam: Elizabeth M. Soden
- Third Annual U-M 3MT® Competition
- Graduate Writing Clinic Open in Spring + Summer
- Spring 2016 ELI Conversation Circles Registration Now Open!
- Registration Now Open! Fall Course for International Scholars, Researchers, Faculty, Staff, and Post-Docs
- Winter 2017 ELI Conversation Circles Registration Now Open!
- All Events
- Video: John Swales on Genre & English for Academic Purposes
- Video: John Levis on The Importance of Social Factors in L2 Pronunciation Learning
- Third-Annual Three-Minute Thesis Competition
- NEW! Online Pre-Arrival Course for International Graduate Students
- ELI Summer Programs Off and Running!
- Sign Up Now! "Power Up Your English with Great Self-Study Apps + Sites" Workshop
- ELI 75th Anniversary Celebration
- Registration Now Open! Winter Course for International Scholars, Researchers, Faculty, Staff, and Post-Docs
VS 501: Introduction to Communications in Academia
This course provides instruction in communication strategies for speaking in both formal and informal academic settings and for written communication. Participants learn and practice the basics of academic presentations and techniques for effectively participating in and leading discussions. Other areas of instruction include the style and organization of research writing, vocabulary development, and pronunciation. Extensive individualized instructor feedback helps participants at all levels of English proficiency improve their spoken accuracy, fluency, and delivery style in both professional and social settings. The first class session includes an overview of the course, a language and needs assessment, and advising.
Course Details for Fall 2016
Day/Time: Wednesdays, 4:00 – 6:00 pm;
Dates: September 14 – November 16 (10 sessions)
Location: ELI Conference Room, 555 S. Forest Avenue, Third Floor
COURSE FEE: $900
For more information, call 734-764-2413 or email ELIemail@example.com