Academic Advising & Personalized Counseling
Each CSP student has an assigned advisor with whom s/he meets on a regular basis. Together, they explore the student's interests, aptitudes, needs, academic goals, and career objectives. They then develop an individualized program to promote general intellectual growth as well as entry into their field of concentration. Advisors also provide advice on a wide range of practical and personal matters.
- CSP advising works to increase retention and promote academic excellence among students admitted to the CSP program. This is accomplished through a system that offers orientation to the university community, personalized advising and counseling, mentoring, instruction, and academic support.
- CSP Academic Advisors develop close working relationships with students including our recommendations for first and second year students to visit their advisors 3-4 times per term, and for upperclassmen to visit their advisors 1-2 times per term.
- CSP Academic Advisors monitor student progress via our Mid-Term Estimate and Student Progress Reporting systems.
- CSP Advising offers Pre-professional Peer Advising in business.
- CSP Academic Advisors also offer specialized academic workshops, group advising programs, and outreach to student groups.
Business School: Pre-Business Peer Counselors
Questions about the B-school or the application process?
Pre-Business Peer Counselors
A list of days and times can be found here.
CSP Financial Aid Advising
Melissa Pickrell, the CSP Financial Aid Advisor, is available in the CSP office on the following days:
Tuesdays 8:00 AM - 4:15 PM
Thursdays 10:00 AM - 4:15 PM
1139 Angell Hall - 734 764-9128
OFA phone number - 734 763-6600
If the Tuesday or Thursday times are not accommodating, you can email Melissa email@example.com to set up an appointment to see her over at the Office of Financial Aid located in the Student Activities Building.
For more information regarding financial aid, including Summer Bridge funding, visit the following link.
Hours and Appointments
Please call our office at (734) 764-9128 to make an advising appointment.
We have Walk-in hours for more urgent situations
Monday - Friday 1:00 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Keep in mind that appointments allow you & your advisor time to discuss academic and personal concerns.
How often should you see your CSP Advisor?
First-year students 3-4 sessions per term for:
Understanding LSA requirements
First-Year Interest Groups
Sophomores 3-4 sessions per term for:
Beginning to choose a major
Update on Distribution progress
Juniors and Seniors 1-2 sessions per term for:
Progress towards declaring a major
Study Abroad coursework
Final degree requirements
*Note: Students may discuss their major with an academic advisor. However, students will need to make an appointment to see a major advisor to officially:
- Have a senior audit
- Obtain the most accurate information or course approval concerning their field of study.
Top 10 Reasons to Visit Your Academic Advisor
1. Choosing Future Courses
2. Academic Progress
3. Request a Tutor
4. Distribution Progress
5. Choosing Your Major/minor
6. Graduate School
7. Career Planning
8. Letter of Recommendation
9. First-Year Interest Groups
10. Motivation and Support