The English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program offers a six-week intensive English experience to undergraduate and graduate students who already possess strong English skills and who have been accepted to the University of Michigan or another US university for the fall term. This highly interactive program incorporates elements from the ELI’s renowned research-based English for Academic Purposes curriculum. Participants learn and practice the specific language skills necessary to participate effectively in an academic setting. They also learn about the culture of the US university environment in order to transition into full time academic study in the fall. Participants gain a wider understanding of the US university system, instructor expectations, and student responsibilities.
EAP participants continue learning outside the classroom through unique community-based learning opportunities which provide insight into US culture and practice communicating with a diverse range of Americans.
Classes meet approximately twenty hours per week, Monday through Friday. Small class size and student-teacher conferences provide participants with extensive individual attention. A certificate of completion is awarded to participants who fulfill all program requirements.
What You Will Experience
The program provides instruction in and practice with the skills you will need to communicate effectively in university contexts. You will:
- Practice written genres such as research papers, summaries, and academic emails
- Analyze texts related to your field of study and identify discipline-specific vocabulary
- Listen to academic lectures by noted U-M scholars and practice note-taking techniques
- Work together with classmates in pairs and small-groups
- Prepare and deliver academic presentations
- Receive individualized pronunciation instruction and learn about self-study pronunciation technology
- Interact with staff and volunteers in local community organizations
What You Will Accomplish
Participating in the EAP program will help you become more confident using English in academic and social contexts. Specifically, you will learn to:
- Recognize and use conventions for written academic communication
- Develop strategies to establish yourself as a member of an academic discourse community
- Identify and correct your own errors in speaking and writing
- Understand important aspects of American academic culture
- Navigate Ann Arbor and the U-M campus
- Make friends and begin to build social and professional networks
- Learn about the lives of local community residents
EAP is an intensive six-week language and culture program. It includes the following course components:
- Academic Writing
- Academic Reading and Vocabulary
- Lecture Comprehension and Notetaking
- Interactive Speaking
- Community-Based Language and Culture Practicum
IMPORTANT NOTE ON ATTENDANCE: Attendance at all class sessions, and active participation in all classroom activities, and the completion of homework assignments is mandatory for all students. Late arrivals and early departures from the program are not permitted. Any exceptions must be approved IN ADVANCE by the ELI Director and the appropriate U-M Admissions office.
Who Provides the Instruction
The EAP instructional staff consists of members of the English Language Institute’s distinguished faculty along with other world-class instructors, all of whom have advanced credentials and extensive experience teaching English for Academic Purposes.
Language and Culture Beyond the Curriculum
The EAP program is committed to helping participants expand their use of English in social settings, so a variety of social events are included in the summer schedule. In addition, participants in the EAP program have access to U-M libraries and computing centers on campus. Access to sports and fitness facilities is available for a small fee.
Prepare Yourself for Your Academic Program
The best way to prepare yourself for the demands of an American university is to attend the English Language Institute’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP) summer program. This six-and-a-half-week intensive program is designed especially for graduate and undergraduate students who will be starting degree programs in the US. By participating in this program, you will improve your ability to use English in a university context, enhance your understanding of US academic culture, and familiarize yourself with the campus and setting at the University of Michigan. You will also learn more about yourself and how to make the most of your time at a US college or university.