Welcome to CSP
The Comprehensive Studies Program, widely known across the University of Michigan’s campus as CSP, is a Michigan Learning Community focused on academically enriching and holistically supporting the most diverse population of undergraduate students. With more than 2,600 students representing all undergraduate colleges across the university, we have enjoyed multiple years of continued success. As a large part of the university’s diversity goals, CSP works to address the ever growing needs of many first-generation students, students underrepresented in the academy, students who might benefit from having a small established community upon entering and throughout their time as an undergraduate student, and many others. There is not one type of CSP student, but our goals are the same for all students: academic excellence.
In order to achieve our mission of supporting and retaining a diverse student population through graduation where preparation before entering the university is not a barrier to success once matriculated we offer:
- Smaller class sizes for many gateway courses important for several pathways at Michigan.
- A Holistic advising model where focus is on knowing the entire student in order to appropriately advise on their needs.
- A tutoring program to support increased mastery in students’ course work.
- A mentorship program to expose students to all of the resources available.
- A Summer Bridge Scholars Program that gives students a jumpstart as a Michigan student.
- Programming at every level including time management, study skills, professional networking, professional and graduate school test prep, etc.
I look forward to working closely with all University of Michigan students as we continue to enjoy a diverse, inclusive and equitable academic community.
Harold D. Waters, Ph.D
Comprehensive Studies Program