What is required for admission to the Michigan Astronomy graduate program?
- A bachelor's degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and a major in physics, astronomy, or a related field. Official transcripts are required.
- General GRE and GRE physics test (applications for Fall 2018 admission will NOT require the GRE PHYSICS test).
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Statement of purpose and a personal statement.
- Students from non-English speaking countries are required to demonstrate proficiency in English via the TOEFL exam. Candidates for financial assistance must pass an additional U-M English proficiency test. Please see Rackham’s application instructions for non-native English speakers.
More information is available on the Astronomy and Astrophysics section of the Rackham Graduate School website.
When is the application deadline?
The Astronomy graduate program admits for the fall term only. We are currently accepting applications to begin the program in Fall 2017.
The application deadline for Fall 2017 admission is Wednesday, January 4, 2017.
Please note: the University of Michigan (and the Astronomy department) is closed December 24, 2016 - January 3, 2017.
What support is provided to PhD students?
Graduate students in Astronomy receive a monthly stipend, tuition waiver, plus health and dental coverage. The current stipend amount for the 2016/17 academic year is $2,467.13 per month.
We also support student applications for prestigious national fellowships such as NSF and NASA.
More detailed information is available at:
What are the application fees?
- United States citizens and those with permanent resident visa status, $75
- Non-U.S. citizens, $90
This fee is non-refundable and subject to change.
If the application fee presents an extreme financial hardship, U.S. citizens may apply to Rackham for a fee waiver on the Rackham website. Foreign applicants may contact the department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How many official copies of my transcript do you need, and where do I send them?
Photocopies are not accepted. Click here for guidance.
Where do my recommenders send their letters of recommendation?
There are several options for submitting your letters of recommendation. Click here for guidance.
What are the GRE and TOEFL codes?
- Institution Code: 1839, University of Michigan Ann Arbor
- GRE Department Code: 0801, Astronomy
- TOEFL Department Code: 0061, Astronomy
I won't have my GRE scores until after the aplication deadline. What do I do?
Simply complete the online application by the deadline, and we will add your scores to your file when they arrive.