Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Applying for Certificate Programs

Admissions Process

Admission to the Certificate programs is granted on a rolling basis, meaning students are encouraged to apply at any time. That said, students who plan to pursue the certificate are encouraged to apply as early in their programs as possible in order to benefit from our community resources and additional funding opportunities.

Applicants must already be enrolled in a degree-granting program at the University of Michigan. (One term of U-M graduate study must be completed prior to the applicant's designated term of admission.) They must be in good standing with their program and have the consent of their graduate advisor as well as the consent of the Graduate Director in the Women’s and Gender Studies Department.

At the time of application, students must submit the following materials to the department:

  • The application cover page for the desired certificate:
  • A 300-600 word statement of purpose explaining your interest in the Certificate Program and your interest in Women's and Gender Studies or LGBTQ Studies
  • A letter of support from your faculty advisor; and
  • One of the two Rackham applications:
    • For current Rackham students: Rackham’s Add a Degree or Certificate Application form. This form needs to be signed by the student’s other department chair prior to submitting it to Women’s and Gender Studies. If the student is admitted, the Women's and Gender Studies Director of Graduate Studies will sign and return the form to Rackham.
    • For non-Rackham U-M students (e.g. MSW or MPH students): Rackham's online application. Submit Rackham’s required materials/transcripts, and pay the application fee. Graduate Certificate applicants do not need to submit new test scores, but a final official copy of undergraduate transcripts/credentials must be submitted to Rackham. (Note that courses taken to complete certificate requirements should be registered for under Rackham. Dual-enrollment is allowed.)

Submit completed application materials, preferably via email, to: (Graduate Program Coordinator, Women's and Gender Studies, 1122 Lane Hall, 204 S. State St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1290).

LGBTQ Studies Certificate Info Packet and Application

WGS Certificate Info Packet and Application