Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

UROP Student Grant Funding

UROP provides grants to currently enrolled U-M UROP students who do not have work-study as part of their financial aid package but who have demonstrated financial need. Many students receive financial aid from the University, but a large portion of it is in the form of loans. Other students receive some financial aid, but the financial aid award notice indicates you still have 'unmet financial need'. In other cases, recently changed circumstances have created financial need, e.g. one of your parents lost their job. 

A UROP Grant process works similarly to how we compensate work-study students. Students will be hired as a temporary student employee and receive an hourly wage. Students will not be paid for the biweekly seminars but are required to attend the seminars for credit like other UROP students. Not attending seminar and non-compliance with other UROP requirements may be factors for suspending the student's funding. 

UROP Grants are based on demonstrated financial need. Given limited funding to provide grants to all students with financial need, we are not able to extend grants to students who would prefer to do UROP for compensation vs. credit.


    1. Complete the UROP Student Grant Application (linked in the button below)

    2. Provide a letter explaining why you need a UROP Grant. In the letter please explain why a grant is needed to participate in UROP.

    3. Provide a copy of your UM financial aid award notice. If you do not receive financial aid, you need to provide another form of documentation of your financial need as described in the letter.

Both the letter and a copy of your UM financial aid award notice and/or documenation should be sent to You can also drop off all supporting documenation to the UROP Office. 1190 USB (1st floor; Plaza Level).

If you have any questions, please email or make an appointment with the UROP Director, Dr. Michelle Ferrez ( to discuss your particular circumstances.