Changing Gears (CG) is a UROP program designed primarily for community college transfer students who will be attending the University of Michigan, but also serves students transferring from 4 year institutions. Students in the CG Program become a part of an ongoing faculty-driven research, scholarly or creative project in their field of interest. Students learn valuable academic skills, applying these skills to their research project, academics, and future career opportunities, while receiving academic credit or compensation for their efforts in research work.
UROP's Changing Gears Program offers:
- Opportunities to build relationships with Faculty Mentors, Research Scholars and UROP Staff
- Build community with transfer students engaging in hands-on research in students' field of interest
- Access to Changing Gears Program alumni
- Exposure to academic and research skills for a smoother transition to U-M
- Connection to resources and opportunities for professional development and graduate school
Apply to the Changing Gears Program
The transfer student application is available for current University of Michigan students who transferred from a Community College or other institution and would like to participate in our Changing Gears Program. The Changing Gears Program application are now open! Priority Deadline, Friday, June 7th.
Changing Gears Program Components
- Work on a research project 6-12 hours per week (avg.) for the full academic year
- Explore topics such as research methodology and research ethics
- Assigned a UROP Peer Facilitator (CG Alumni) for the full academic year for help with:
- Finding a research project
- Preparing for the interview process
- Providing research skills through workshops
- Connecting students with resources and opportunities at UM
- Creating a community and supporting students’ UM transfer experience
- Attend biweekly interdisciplinary seminars featuring guest speakers, field trips, and discussions
- Readings and assignments about students’ research and UM transfer process
- Present research project at the Annual Spring Research Symposium
Changing Gears Program Eligibility
The Changing Gears Program is designed for community college students transferring to the University of Michigan. However, students transferring from 4 year institutions are also welcome to apply. Students must have at least Sophomore standing.
- Students who have participated in UROP during the academic year in the past, including MRC/MRADS students, are not eligible for the Changing Gears Program.
- Current UROP participants who are freshmen or sophomores and want to continue with their projects for the upcoming year should apply to the Research Scholars Program and/or discuss ways to continue doing research with their research sponsors directly.
- Priority is given to students with no research experience, therefore students who have had previous research experience on the Ann Arbor campus (even though it may have not been through UROP) will be admitted to the "Traditional UROP Program" rather than the Changing Gears Program.
Changing Gears Compensation Options
For the CG Program, students can earn either academic credit or compensation through the work-study program:
Credit: Students can earn 2-4 academic credits per term, based on the level of research required. Students will register by permission for UROP credit upon being hired for a research project.
Compensation: Students can earn work-study wages if work-study is part of their financial aid package. Students with financial need, but who do not have work-study as part of their financial aid package, can apply for a grant upon admission to the program (more details will be provided upon admission).
Email us at email@example.com. Please include your name and UMID in any correspondence.