The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program offers several different programs throughout the Academic Year designed to assist University of Michigan undergraduate students on the Ann Arbor campus to discover the world of research through collaborations with U-M researchers. Students participating in the program are called research assistants and work alongside a faculty member, research scientist or professional practitioner on an ongoing or new research project.
Fall-Winter Program Requirements
Regardless of which program students are participating in, all students are:
- Required to conduct research with a UROP Sponsor
- Assigned a peer advisor who they meet with on a regular basis
- Required to attend seminars meetings in addition to conducting research
- Apply directly to faculty sponsors (with the aid of a peer advisor and UROP staff liaisons) to projects the STUDENT finds interesting and engaging
- Are responsible for scheduling their own research hours around the rest of their academic schedule
The Incoming Freshman application is currently unavailable. Incoming freshman applications will be released in late May 2018.
The UROP sophomore application is now available! Please click here to access the rising sophomore application for 2018-2019.
Early decision deadline: March 23, 2018
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling bases after the early decision deadline, until all spots are filled.
You are eligible to apply for UROP if you will be a sophomore and/or beginning your 2nd year at the University of Michigan in Fall 2018. In addition, you can NOT have participated in UROP or MRC during the Fall 2017/Winter 2018.