- Fall-Winter Programs
- Summer Programs
- Mellon Scholars
- Frequently Asked Questions
Fellowship Dates: May 28, 2023 - August 2, 2024
Application Opens: Monday, December 4, 2023
Application Deadline: Friday, February 9, 2024
Recommendation Deadline: Monday, February 26, 2024
Acceptance Notifications Begin: Friday, March 8, 2024
Mandatory Orientation: Tuesday, May 28, 2024
Stipend Award: Research fellows receive a $3,000- $6,000 stipend for their full-time participation in the program.
Information Sessions: Tuesdays at 6:00pm
- November 28, 2023
- January 9, 2024
- January 16, 2024
The Engineering summer research program seeks to attract a diverse student population, including women and historically underrepresented students, first generation college students, students from low-income backgrounds, and veterans. Participating undergraduates not only gain confidence in their ability to experience valuable hands-on research and mentoring, but they also learn to appreciate the advantages of pursuing an advanced degree.
Benefits of being an UROP SRC Fellow include:
- Funding to do cutting-edge research in: Electrical Engineering, Material Science and Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Chemistry and Chemical Engineering.
- Resume distribution through the SRC website increasing student opportunities for internships and full-time employment with direct industry contacts.
- SRC sponsored events provide opportunities to network with a wide range of industry experts and other students and faculty who are funded by SRC.
- Opportunity to present at TECHCON conference. TECHCON offers an opportunity for UROP SRC students to present research, network with peers and explore career opportunities with SRC members.
Eligibility and Guidelines
- Current undergraduate students attending the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Campus not graduating in May 2022.
- University of Michigan UROP summer research participants will NOT be allowed to enroll in Spring-Summer classes at the University of Michigan unless the summer fellow is pre-approved by the Director of UROP. Summer research fellows receive paid stipends and if a summer research fellow is enrolled in spring-summer classes and receiving financial aid, the stipend could have a negative impact on the research fellows’ financial aid for spring and/or summer terms.
- Must work a minimum of 35 hours weekly and participate in required weekly workshops.
- Must present at the Summer Symposium.
Complete the online application, which includes the following documents:
- Personal Statement, attached as a PDF to your application
- Unofficial Transcripts, attached as a PDF to your application
- Resume, attached as a PDF to your application
- Letter of Recommendation
- The application will request your recommender's email address. After submitting your application, the recommender will receive an email with instructions for submitting their letter. Please instruct the recommender to contact UROP if they are having trouble.
For more information contact:
Charmise L. Knox, Academic Program Manager